All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 25313
Location: Raleigh, NC
Good clip.


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:04 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Posts: 885
He would be averaging over 7,000 passing yards and 60 TD passes per season.

_________________
2022 PHINFEVER SURVIVOR CHAMPION


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 2490
Location: Charlotte, NC
That's pretty cool of Joe. Seems like he's saying Marino was the better QB, but it's hard to dispute 4 Championships.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 am
Posts: 271
Everybody realizes how much faster and better the defenses are today than even in that era, right? They may not can hit a QB and pound on them as much, but let’s not pretend defenses haven’t evolved too.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27988
Location: Miami, FL
The Don wrote:
Everybody realizes how much faster and better the defenses are today than even in that era, right? They may not can hit a QB and pound on them as much, but let’s not pretend defenses haven’t evolved too.


In those days, CBs used to be able to mug WRs wantonly. Not today. The rules are set up for offenses to succeed. In the 80s and 90s, they were set up for defenses to succeed.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 8290
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Rich wrote:
In those days, CBs used to be able to mug WRs wantonly. Not today.


Quote:
wan·ton
/ˈwäntən/

sexually unrestrained or having many casual sexual relationships (typically used of a woman).
"her cheeks burned as she recalled how forward she had been, how wanton"


Weird description of an ‘80s era defense but okay bro

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:57 am 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Posts: 885
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:
In those days, CBs used to be able to mug WRs wantonly. Not today.


Quote:
wan·ton
/ˈwäntən/

sexually unrestrained or having many casual sexual relationships (typically used of a woman).
"her cheeks burned as she recalled how forward she had been, how wanton"


Weird description of an ‘80s era defense but okay bro


Unrestrained is the operative word here.

_________________
2022 PHINFEVER SURVIVOR CHAMPION


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27988
Location: Miami, FL
First definition:

in a deliberate and unprovoked way.

What is the meaning of wantonly in English?
wantonly adverb (WITHOUT CARE)

in a way that is intentional or shows no care about bad things that might result: Their lives were brutally and wantonly cut short.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 8290
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Rich wrote:
First definition:

in a deliberate and unprovoked way.

What is the meaning of wantonly in English?
wantonly adverb (WITHOUT CARE)

in a way that is intentional or shows no care about bad things that might result: Their lives were brutally and wantonly cut short.


My definition applies better to Xavier Howard than yours.

I win.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly
Phinfever Blog Writer - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27988
Location: Miami, FL
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:
First definition:

in a deliberate and unprovoked way.

What is the meaning of wantonly in English?
wantonly adverb (WITHOUT CARE)

in a way that is intentional or shows no care about bad things that might result: Their lives were brutally and wantonly cut short.


My definition applies better to Xavier Howard than yours.

I win.


Well apparently he sometimes does get that burning sensation based on the fact that he is being sued for spreading it to someone else.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 8624
Some unnamed poster(s) would complain about him not being good enough because he had missed the playoffs six of eight yrs of his prime, plus he did lose a SB ( 1986 -1994 )


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:07 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Posts: 885
Dphins4me wrote:
Some unnamed poster(s) would complain about him not being good enough because he had missed the playoffs six of eight yrs of his prime, plus he did lose a SB ( 1986 -1994 )


Not his fault at all. He did what he could. Shula the GM failed to provide him with a good running game to compliment him and a good defense that could get him on the field more.

_________________
2022 PHINFEVER SURVIVOR CHAMPION


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 2490
Location: Charlotte, NC
I tend to blame Joe Robbie, Marino played in the area of no salary cap and Robbie wasn't going to compete with Teams like the 49ers for premier talent.


Speaking of Shula.......I didn't previously know this, but Shula was given 10% ownership of the Team from Joe Robbie when he became the Phins' HC. I got this from "The Perfect Machine" an ESPN+ documentary on the '72 Team. At the time, Shula's 10% was worth $75k.......today it would be worth closer to $660M. He sold it back to Robbie later in the 70s.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 25313
Location: Raleigh, NC
ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Some unnamed poster(s) would complain about him not being good enough because he had missed the playoffs six of eight yrs of his prime, plus he did lose a SB ( 1986 -1994 )


Not his fault at all. He did what he could. Shula the GM failed to provide him with a good running game to compliment him and a good defense that could get him on the field more.


Yep. That's why he made it into the HOF on the first vote. I miss the Da Man.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 8624
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

Not his fault at all. He did what he could. Shula the GM failed to provide him with a good running game to compliment him and a good defense that could get him on the field more.

Never said it was his fault, but facts are facts. He lacked the desire to let the running game struggle to learn. You are correct, Shula the GM failed Shula the coach and is a prime example of why coaches should not buy the groceries.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:47 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:39 pm
Posts: 885
Dphins4me wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

Not his fault at all. He did what he could. Shula the GM failed to provide him with a good running game to compliment him and a good defense that could get him on the field more.

Never said it was his fault, but facts are facts. He lacked the desire to let the running game struggle to learn. You are correct, Shula the GM failed Shula the coach and is a prime example of why coaches should not buy the groceries.


And in a way, Shula the coach hindered Shula the GM because Shula the coach still won 8-10 games per year despite the bad draft picks. That stopped the team from getting top picks.

_________________
2022 PHINFEVER SURVIVOR CHAMPION


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
Dynasty League
Dynasty League

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 8624
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

And in a way, Shula the coach hindered Shula the GM because Shula the coach still won 8-10 games per year despite the bad draft picks. That stopped the team from getting top picks.
It typically does not matter where a team drafts, its who. Marino was the 27rd pick of Rd. 1, Brady was a 6th Rder.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r