All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I haven't really followed the Steelers, so, I'm not sure what to think about this. I do know that he is consistent and reliable. So, are the Steelers not going to resign him? If not, then is it a salary cap move?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... nnJa00.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:53 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Solid back. Nothing special. Steelers have guys on the roster that can give the same production. Money better being spent on trying resign Juju Smith or Bud Dupree.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:17 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I just get a "meh" feeling when I think of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Feels like Matt Breida all over again

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:25 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
I just get a "meh" feeling when I think of it.

Yep, same here. Very few backs are elite enough to be worth signing to a second contract. We got better production out of Gaskin and Ahmed, two draft afterthoughts, than we did out of Breida and Howard. The fact is that if you develop a very strong line, you can get great production out of mediocre backs. You can even get pretty good production out of an average QB if you have a great line (that one if for you, Carreramia!).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:51 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Look, Conner is a great guy and an inspirational story but not worth signing in FA. Please just draft a stud and move on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:37 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

We are talking about the same group that gave Jordan Howard $5 million. I wasn't opposed to it at the time. Point being they aren't afraid to spend on the position for the short term.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:10 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He's like Jordan Howard. He runs like he's wearing 1980's Moon Boots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

How is he picking up the blitz?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a position I want addressed in the first 3 of our picks....maybe our 4th pick if that works to get Rhamondre Stevenson.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:

Actually, from what I've read, he's a good pass blocker. Blocking may get Salvon Ahmed looking for another team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:00 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

He has a good story, cancer survivor while in college at Pitt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

As much as the guy drives me nuts, he made a great point. Omar is tweeting about the necessary components of the RPO and how Miami lacks the two key positions: running back and center.

This is why I think they are going to spend big money on Aaron Jones and a center (word is David Andrews is on the radar). It makes sense to help Tua and not chance it with rookies. There are good developmental running backs and centers to be had later in the draft.

I do not see James Conner as a feature guy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:08 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Actually, from what I've read, he's a good pass blocker. Blocking may get Salvon Ahmed looking for another team.

Seems to me that few backs out of college are good at this aspect of the game their first year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:36 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
This is why I think they are going to spend big money on Aaron Jones and a center (word is David Andrews is on the radar). It makes sense to help Tua and not chance it with rookies. There are good developmental running backs and centers to be had later in the draft.

It looks like Jones just resigned with the Packers (four years, $48 million). I'm happy about that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

It looks like Jones just resigned with the Packers (four years, $48 million). I'm happy about that.

That is a game changer indeed.

But Miami has given themselves some flexibility. As much as I don't think Isaiah Wilson is an answer, he at least gives them another body at OT. And they now have their starting LBs set with McKinney, Baker and Van Ginkel. If they sign Carl Lawson to be the new edge, which the rumors are hinting at, they have the freedom to spend a very early pick on one of Najee Harris, Travis Etienne or Javonte Williams.

For the RPO to be truly effective they need a back to scare defenses. I hate putting that pressure on a rookie but what is the alternative now?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:34 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
prof123 wrote:
jammer wrote:

But Miami has given themselves some flexibility. As much as I don't think Isaiah Wilson is an answer, he at least gives them another body at OT. And they now have their starting LBs set with McKinney, Baker and Van Ginkel. If they sign Carl Lawson to be the new edge, which the rumors are hinting at, they have the freedom to spend a very early pick on one of Najee Harris, Travis Etienne or Javonte Williams.

For the RPO to be truly effective they need a back to scare defenses. I hate putting that pressure on a rookie but what is the alternative now?

I think the position where a rookie is most likely to make immediate impact is RB, so that is going to be the plan. Harris serves their purpose (big back) better, so if they can't get him at 18, I think they pass on Etienne and pick a bigger back later (Williams or Stevenson)

My prediction (and hope)
At 3: Trade down a few slots and still pick up one of the Top 3 WRs or Pitts
At 18: Harris, if available, or best available Edge/LB (unless Slater falls here)
At 36: Edge/LB (whichever wasn't taken at 18), maybe WR if good value, maybe OL
At 50: OL, if good value (Creed Humphrey?), or Edge/LB if we got Harris at 18

Ideally, we will have another pick in the late 30s or early 40s due to trading down, to use for OL, Edge, or LB. My hope is that in the first two rounds, we will select a TE/WR, Edge, LB, and OL, and with an extra pick from a trade, another OL (or WR if we drafted Pitts).

Here are examples, assuming trade down:
Pitts, Harris, Z Collins (LB), Oweh (Edge), Humphrey (C)
Chase, Harris, Wyatt Davis (G), Phillips or Perkins (Edge), Browning (LB)
Waddle, Rousseau or Paye (Edge), Mayfield (OT) or Humphrey (C), Collins (LB), Williams (RB)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:02 pm 

I'm hearing Williams is climbing into the bottom of the first round. I doubt it, but it's out there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

k-dash wrote:
I'm hearing Williams is climbing into the bottom of the first round. I doubt it, but it's out there.

I hope so. Then someone else will drop to us at #36. There are some very good LB, EDGE, and OL guys available at the end of the first and very top of the second round, and I hope we get one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:01 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

We'll know a lot more about Miami's draft plans this week. If they don't extend Baker I imagine they target another linebacker. Same could be said about Mike Gesicki and targeting Kyle Pitts with their first pick.

If they sign a big names like Golladay and Lawson, then the draft plan may be a bit more unconventional than we predicted (see above about Gesicki).

Quite frankly, we still don't know if they are dealing off all of their picks to get Watson. I doubt it, and I don't want it, but it is possible. (Yes, I'm officially Team Tua for 2021).

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]