All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 

Trade down?
Stay at pick #3 and get the best playmaker. Quality over Quanitity. 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
Trade down to try to get a second 2022 1st round pick in case Tua does not progress. 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Total votes: 14
 Post subject: Trade down!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:13 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

If I am Grier, you know why I want to trade down? It is too hard to get that 3rd pick right!

Personally, I have been all over the place. Initially, I pushed for Sewell. Then I wanted Chase. Now, I'm not so sure. I've been reading that he isn't that great at getting separation, and we already have some big athletic WRs who can't separate. I really like Pitts, but Waddle is also growing on me. Smith is probably the one most likely to contribute right away.

My point is that one can easily make an argument for any one of about five guys at #3. If we are picking at 7 or 8, then it will be much easier. Given that our front office hasn't proven it makes the right decisions, it would behoove them to make it easier on themselves. If we trade down to 7 or 8, we should be able to pick up either an early second round pick or a first rounder next year, in addition to a third round pick. And, we still have a very good chance at getting Waddle, Pitts, or Smith. Now that we have Fuller, it would even be okay (if those guys are gone) to trade down from 7 or 8 and pick up another 2nd rounder. There are some very good WRs in the 20 to 40 range, and we could use those extra picks for C, LB, RB, and Edge.

Post subject: Re: Trade down!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:37 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I've been through a similar process as you with my view towards the pick, though I was in on trading down a long time ago. By "Down" I mean no later than 8, ftr. Take the best receiver available and then maybe trade up from 18 a few spots to ensure getting Harris. After that, it's Edge, C, LB, and BPA.

Ask me on Wednesday I may have a different answer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:18 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

k-dash wrote:
I've been through a similar process as you with my view towards the pick, though I was in on trading down a long time ago. By "Down" I mean no later than 8, ftr. Take the best receiver available and then maybe trade up from 18 a few spots to ensure getting Harris. After that, it's Edge, C, LB, and BPA.

Oh, I've always wanted to trade down, too. What has changed is who I would draft at 3 if we stayed there. What would you do at 8 if the first seven, in some order, are the two QBs, Sewell, Smith, Waddle, Chase, and Pitts? Or, what would you do at 7 if the only one available in that group is Sewell? While Carolina, at 8, is certainly one of those teams that is rumored to want to move up, it is a bit risky to drop that far. I'd be willing to do it, but they need a plan if that scenario above unfolds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:14 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

What you do is see what teams are hot on whom. You realize that Lawrence and either Fields or Wilson are going 1 and 2. So you trade down with Cincy to 5 because they are hot on Sewell. Atlanta will grab the QB that the Jets don't take. Then you trade down one spot with Philly and let them pick the receiver they want. You've still got one of your two targeted receivers and you've picked up at least two more second round picks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:44 am 

prof123 wrote:
k-dash wrote:

Oh, I've always wanted to trade down, too. What has changed is who I would draft at 3 if we stayed there. What would you do at 8 if the first seven, in some order, are the two QBs, Sewell, Smith, Waddle, Chase, and Pitts? Or, what would you do at 7 if the only one available in that group is Sewell? While Carolina, at 8, is certainly one of those teams that is rumored to want to move up, it is a bit risky to drop that far. I'd be willing to do it, but they need a plan if that scenario above unfolds.

If I'm at 7 and Sewell is there and the others are not, I take him every time. If I'm at 8 and all those guys are gone, I probably look for the highest rated Edge guy or simply BPA at a position of need. Maybe even (although this goes against everything I normally believe) take Harris. Way too high for a RB, unless it's the kind of talent that can move your franchise forward. I think he might be that kind of back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I saw this from Ben Albright this morning. There is a lot of truth in this statement. If the Dolphins feel that JChase/DVSmith/KPitts is a receiver very worthy of the overall #3 pick in the draft and that he will make this team better, Grier will not trade out of the position. Think Minkah Fitzpatrick who is a big difference for the Steelers on that defense. A voice that could change his mind would be Stephen Ross who likes to take advantage of draft capital if he feels the Dolphins are lacking in overall talent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:17 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
I saw this from Ben Albright this morning. There is a lot of truth in this statement. If the Dolphins feel that JChase/DVSmith/KPitts is a receiver very worthy of the overall #3 pick in the draft and that he will make this team better, Grier will not trade out of the position. Think Minkah Fitzpatrick who is a big difference for the Steelers on that defense. A voice that could change his mind would be Stephen Ross who likes to take advantage of draft capital if he feels the Dolphins are lacking in overall talent.

Yes, that is true, in general. I just have trouble believing they would feel that strongly about any one these four over the others. I don't understand the Fitzpatrick reference, though. As I recall, he fell down to us at 11, and some had thought he was a top-5 pick. It isn't like we picked him earlier than where he was projected to go, just because we liked him.

What I'm not sure about is whether I'd prefer a 2021 second rounder or a 2022 first rounder if we trade down. These extra first round picks are great to have, and it is nice to keep accumulating them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Yes, that is true, in general. I just have trouble believing they would feel that strongly about any one these four over the others. I don't understand the Fitzpatrick reference, though. As I recall, he fell down to us at 11, and some had thought he was a top-5 pick. It isn't like we picked him earlier than where he was projected to go, just because we liked him.

What I'm not sure about is whether I'd prefer a 2021 second rounder or a 2022 first rounder if we trade down. These extra first round picks are great to have, and it is nice to keep accumulating them.

Trading down is just stupid. The team needs top tier talent. The top picks are coveted for a reason. I want Smith and if they trade down he is gone. They will rue the day. I also would totally be down with drafting a QB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:31 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phinished wrote:
Trading down is just stupid. The team needs top tier talent. The top picks are coveted for a reason. I want Smith and if they trade down he is gone. They will rue the day. I also would totally be down with drafting a QB.

It is only stupid if you think there is a big difference in talent between those four players. I don't think there is -- any one of the four would be a reasonable pick at #3. They are all top-tier talent. I think Smith is just as likely to be available at 7 as any of the others.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
Phinished wrote:

It is only stupid if you think there is a big difference in talent between those four players. I don't think there is -- any one of the four would be a reasonable pick at #3. They are all top-tier talent. I think Smith is just as likely to be available at 7 as any of the others.
p

Smith is the top WR prospect because of his consistency at gaining separation. His release techniques at the LOS are simply awesome. We already have guys like Chase on the roster. Smith is the WR this team must have to improve. Throw in his familiarity with Tua as a bonus. He will not be there at 7....I doubt he slides past 3. This is lying season in the NFL. I am also on board with a QB at 3....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:48 pm 

So, Phinished... how would you feel about taking a QB at 3?

:haha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:59 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phinished wrote:

But in my scenario outlined above, you can trade down and still get him. So do you stand pat and take Smith at 3 or do you trade down to 5, still get him and pick up an extra second rounder at least.

Sounds like a no brainer to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Phinished wrote:

But in my scenario outlined above, you can trade down and still get him. So do you stand pat and take Smith at 3 or do you trade down to 5, still get him and pick up an extra second rounder at least.

If it works, sure....but dude...it is an unlikely fantasy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Trading down is almost always the best option. Miami is in as good a spot as any.

Phinished wrote:

Lotta contradictions here. Don’t pretend like the draft isn’t a big crapshoot, the history is all there. Reloading is not stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:28 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phinished wrote:
prof123 wrote:
Phinished wrote:

p

Smith is the top WR prospect because of his consistency at gaining separation. His release techniques at the LOS are simply awesome. We already have guys like Chase on the roster. Smith is the WR this team must have to improve. Throw in his familiarity with Tua as a bonus. He will not be there at 7....I doubt he slides past 3.

Yes, Smith excels at gaining separation. We need that. Chase excels at YAC. We need that, too. Waddle has Tyreek Hill level speed and is ultra-athletic, a dynamo in the open field. We need that, too. Pitts would give us an explosive two TE-package that would be near possible to defend, much like N.E. has done successfully. The point is that each brings something unique, but we could use any of them. (Yes, we have big athletic WRS, but they have not been reliable, so Chase would be a welcome addition.) I truly have no preference between the four, and I'll be happy to get any of them, as long as it isn't at #3.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Trading down is almost always the best option. Miami is in as good a spot as any.

Phinished wrote:

Lotta contradictions here. Don’t pretend like the draft isn’t a big crapshoot, the history is all there. Reloading is not stupid.

We have been down this road before....seemingly every year. High picks are valuable for a reason and it is not because great talent is found at lower positions. Our problem is the team has squandered their high picks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:47 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phinished wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Phinished wrote:

If it works, sure....but dude...it is an unlikely fantasy.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. You know the Jaguars are going to grab Trevor Lawrence and the Jets either Justin Fields or Zach Wilson. You also know Atlanta is going to take whichever QB the Jets don't. And you know Cincy needs a left tackle really bad. By faking interest in Sewell, you can finagle at least Cincy's second round pick plus other picks as well. And you still get your choice of Smith, Chase, or Pitts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:13 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Here are a couple of articles that brake down success rates of 1st round picks.

The first article brakes them down by position not great for wide receivers and TE's. But is limited in the number of positions.
https://football.pitcherlist.com/pessim ... nfl-draft/

The second brakes it down by increments of 5 in the first round regardless of position. In this case pick in the top 5.
https://theriotreport.com/scout-camp-20 ... he-author/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Admin Edit

Phinfeverites, I added a poll to the Prof's post here as I am curious how many want to stay at 3 and how many want to trade down. BTW, even though I have "super powers" here as an Admin, I do not know who votes what in a poll. So, your vote is confidential.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:15 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phinished wrote:
...it is an unlikely fantasy.

I was just skimming along, then this. The most accurate observation, “fantasy”, it is. I mean, we ARE talking about the Fins front office, right? They are liable to do most anything, and more likely the wrong thing. History says so.

Anyway, Super Dave! No need to hide my identity. I voted for the 2022 first rounder. If it’s fantasy we are talking about then that’s mine. The Watson thing may or may not be cleared up by then, but when the price goes down Miami better be at the front of the line.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I voted "trade down" but I've always been a quality over quantity person, so, I felt disappointed when I clicked the button.

The reason why is that I think that Ja'Marr Chase, DeVonte Smith, and Kyle Pitts are going be excellent franchise players and will be the type of players that Xavien Howard is at his position. I watched our best TE covering safety that we've had in the past 20 years, Eric Rowe, blanket Kelce but Kelce was still pulling those passes down. Chase and Smith ... could they be as good as Julio Jones or Stefon Diggs?

The plus is that we would get a second first round pick next year to go with our hopefully late first round pick in our rebuild. We could also use that pick to package up to draft another QB if we have to.

I just came across this to go along with my first comment to go along with why I feel as I do about what we would miss by trading down.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
NFL Network lead draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, when asked about the Eagles at No. 6, made a convincing case for why he would select Pitts if both Pitts and Chase were surprisingly available at that spot. And remember that Philadelphia already has two skilled tight ends in Zach Ertz and Dallas Goedert.

“I would take Pitts; I think it’s a no-brainer,” Jeremiah said. “We’ve talked about how high the ceiling is with him. I think he can emerge as the best tight end in the National Football League. He has that type of dynamic ability.

Ja’Marr Chase, I have the same grade with Pitts, but to me if you wanted to find a receiver, another receiver, I think you’ve got better options for some of those receivers in later rounds than you would at the tight end position. This Kyle Pitts is a rare dude, man. I would take him.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:47 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

I voted trade down. You have to play the long game and since Tua didn't show us much evidence of being the guy, you have to acquire additional first round picks in order to position yourself next year for a top QB.

Unless the Dolphins are in love with and planning to take one of the top 3 QBs in this draft, they should trade out. If the target is receiver, this is a deep class.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:04 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phinished wrote:
We have been down this road.

Yes, yes we have.

That Tony the Tiger hairstyle had bust written all over it.

Big Dave wrote:
I voted "trade down" but I've always been a quality over quantity person

I think almost everybody is on board with that philosophy it’s just the execution of it where people differ.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:14 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Admin Edit

Phinfeverites, I added a poll to the Prof's post here as I am curious how many want to stay at 3 and how many want to trade down. BTW, even though I have "super powers" here as an Admin, I do not know who votes what in a poll. So, your vote is confidential.

Dave

I voted to trade down, but I didn't like the extra phrase you put in that option. I'm not voting down to accumulate extra capital in case Tua isn't the man. I suppose that is one possible outcome, but even if we knew Tua would become Drew Brees, I'd still trade down to 6 or 7. I'd like to pick up another early second round pick in THIS draft, so we can get one of those LBs or Edge guys who drop (and one of them is going to drop). We can go Pitts/Waddle/Smith/Chase at 6 or 7 and Harris or Etienne at 18, then still pick up a very good LB/Edge and OL with our two early second round picks, and use #50 for whatever is left over. I think I prefer this route over a first rounder next year, unless the team offering it up is one that is going to give us a sure fire Top 10 next year. However, I'm not as adamant about this as I am about trading down from #3.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:23 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

We haven't really been down this road before. In the last 20 years, have we seen Miami trade back from the 3 spot and stay within the top 8?

I get arguing against dealing back from the top 10 into the teens (like 2016) or from 12 to 20 something (like 2011 when they missed out on Earl Thomas).

Kyle Pitts could be a game changer. I'm not so sure that a lot of what Chase, Smith and Waddle offer isn't also available on Day 2. Seems to be a wide range of opinions on all of them.

I agree with Rich's idea that you amass as many picks as possible for 2022 to hedge against a Tua disappointment.

Watson not being an option for Carolina may be a game changer. Maybe they get aggressive for the 3rd pick? Or maybe a team thinking Carolna would be out of the running for a rookie QB now panics to move up. Lots of buzz about Atlanta coveting Trey Lance at 4.

I was skeptical about a trade, but Miami could be in an enormous trade haul scenario. Maybe Atlanta flips a pick to them to secure Lance at 3. Assuming NY takes one of Fields or Wilson, Miami would be able to start a bidding war for the final 1st Round QB (we can debate Jones later).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:09 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
Anyway, Super Dave! No need to hide my identity. I voted for the 2022 first rounder. If it’s fantasy we are talking about then that’s mine. The Watson thing may or may not be cleared up by then, but when the price goes down Miami better be at the front of the line.

:haha

If the Dolphins do not trade down it could be either they are convince that they lump several players at about the same grade or that they feel they are "all in" on Tua and want the best playmaker.

This team is missing a lot of talent, so, the smart thing would be to trade down and pick up an extra first (we hope) for next year's draft. The year is not a great draft if you are desperate for a pass rusher. Also, there is the questions that Tua needs to answer, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:13 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Not all analysts see top ten talent at wr in this draft.

Two out of three guys at the draft network don't have any wr with a top ten worthy pick grade.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/20 ... ngs-crabbs

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/20 ... rris-march

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/20 ... ngs-marino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:08 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I'm not predicting it will happen exactly like this, but it does illustrated Jammer's point that #3 will generate a lot of interest. I just did a PFN mock draft, and was offered a #1 in 2022 to move down to #4. Then, Denver offer a #1 and #3 to swap #9 and #4. So, in moving down from #3 to #9, we picked up two first rounders and a third rounder next year. Then, at #9, both Pitts and Smith were still available. Harris was available at #18. That would be a dream scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Miami is basically playing with House money.

Gotta trade down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
What I am disrespecting is the running back position. Running back is one of the most overvalued positions in the NFL and can easily be filled by players not selected in the 1st round. If you think I am crazy, look at the 2020 NFL season.

If we look at the top 10 running backs from the 2020 season just based on yards and touchdowns, the top seven were not 1st round picks for yards, and eight of the top 10 were not first-round picks for touchdowns. I am not even a guy that likes to argue stats, but this is so glaring and obvious.

In the 2020 NFL Draft, one running back was selected in the first round. The Chiefs took Clyde Edwards-Helaire with the 32nd pick, making him the only running back selected in the first round. Edwards-Helaire ranked fourth for rookies in rushing yards and sixth for rookies in rushing touchdowns.

To make it worse, arguably the best running back from the 2020 NFL Draft wasn’t even drafted. It was Jacksonville Jaguars’ undrafted free agent rookie running back James Robinson. The Indianapolis Colts’ rookie running back Jonathan Taylor, a second-round pick, also had a great year.

There is no chance I am taking Harris or any running back at Pick 18. You will be passing up on better pieces for your long-term roster, and that’s bad business if you do it. Harris is also already 23 ...

https://phinphanatic.com/2021/03/26/mia ... -decision/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:18 pm 

I get the sentiment, but in cases where you have someone you believe to be a transcendent, franchise changing talent, you have to grab him. I have no idea if the Miami brass feels that way about Harris or anyone else, but if they do then there's nothing wrong with taking him. I'd be behind taking Harris at 18, or Williams or Etienne later.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

k-dash wrote:
I get the sentiment, but in cases where you have someone you believe to be a transcendent, franchise changing talent, you have to grab him. I have no idea if the Miami brass feels that way about Harris or anyone else, but if they do then there's nothing wrong with taking him. I'd be behind taking Harris at 18, or Williams or Etienne later.

I don't disagree if the management are convinced of that kind of talent they should take that player imo. They should move up to take them if they have to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:33 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

k-dash wrote:

Right. It depends on how special they think he is. There have been some backs who were worthy of their first round status (McCaffrey, for example).

Another option would be to double up and try to get both Carter and Williams from North Carolina. Williams will probably go in the middle of the second and Carter in the late second. Together, that would take "less capital" than #18 and would be nice one-two punch. Use 18 on a top-tier Edge or LB.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:27 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Today's trades pretty much put an end to this poll.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:44 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

ArtieChokePhin wrote:

I was going to say we might still trade down, but given that we traded UP from 12, it isn't too likely. I could see us trading with Carolina, though, if one of the QBs falls to 6. At 6, we will have choices, while at 8 would get leftovers. But they would be excellent leftovers, so I think #8 is the sweet spot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:12 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

prof123 wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

I was going to say we might still trade down, but given that we traded UP from 12, it isn't too likely. I could see us trading with Carolina, though, if one of the QBs falls to 6. At 6, we will have choices, while at 8 would get leftovers. But they would be excellent leftovers, so I think #8 is the sweet spot.

Looks like the Dolphins tuned into the Phinfever brains here on the forum, Prof!

:popcorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:35 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
prof123 wrote:
ArtieChokePhin wrote:

Looks like the Dolphins tuned into the Phinfever brains here on the forum, Prof!

:popcorn

Maybe so! But, I'll reserve complete judgment until after the draft!

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]