All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dolphins signed DJ Fluker to a 1 year contract yesterday. The former first round pick can play G and T on either side of the line. He gives the Dolphins good depth and veteran leadership in the development of our young OLmen. And just like that, Penei Sewell drops from all the Dolphins mocks.

DolphinsWire (USA Today) wrote:
Miami is now tapping into the Baltimore pipeline once again, with veteran offensive lineman D.J. Fluker announcing on Instagram that he’s signed with the Dolphins. Fluker played last season in Baltimore and started 8 games for the Ravens, taking 52% of the team’s offensive snaps in his only season with the team.

Beyond experience on the field (59 career starts), Fluker has the potential to serve as a viable mentor to young lineman such as Robert Hunt and Solomon Kindley — Fluker’s style of play meshes with the strengths of both 2020 rookies on the right side of Miami’s line. And given that Fluker, like fellow interior lineman Ereck Flowers, has taken starts at both guard and tackle, Miami will be expanding their potential offensive line combinations for the fall with this latest addition.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... -j-fluker/

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
Fluker, 30, has started 96 games for four teams in his eight-year career — most recently in Baltimore, where he was teammates with new Dolphins center Matt Skura.

Fluker allowed just two sacks but committed nine penalties in 531 snaps for the Ravens in 2020, earning a Pro Football Focus grade of 63.8 out of 100.

It’s hard to see why the Dolphins would add him to an already full offensive line room if they were giving serious thought to selecting Oregon’s Penei Sewell or Northwestern’s Rashawn Slater at 6 — assuming that’s where they actually end up picking.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:45 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I like this signing. Makes me wonder if Miami is considering any OL guys.

Perhaps Skura and a more developed Dieter hold down the center spot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:48 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Imo this should not stop Miami from drafting our center of the future. If one of the top ones are there at 36 or even 50, they should grab him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:00 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Looking at it as an Isaiah Wilson replacement. Don't think it impacts the draft.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:09 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

vcu2000 wrote:
Looking at it as an Isaiah Wilson replacement. Don't think it impacts the draft.

I agree. Guys in the 30+ range aren't really part of the future, but they fill the current need for veteran leadership and proven stability if someone gets injured. If there is a young player available at great value, then we should grab him as part of the long-term plan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:52 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

prof123 wrote:
vcu2000 wrote:

I agree. Guys in the 30+ range aren't really part of the future, but they fill the current need for veteran leadership and proven stability if someone gets injured. If there is a young player available at great value, then we should grab him as part of the long-term plan.

I think the Dolphins still draft a center, but they can put off other positions until next year's draft unless a good prospect falls to them and give them good value at the position. You cannot address all the positions in a draft. I definitely see the Dolphins trying to address WR, RB, C, LB, DE, S, and as always CB in this draft. They only have 8 picks at the moment in this draft.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]