All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

They say it takes 3 years in order to completely evaluate a draft. That being said, I would give Grier an "average" grade so far, which puts him right in the middle as Rosenthal has him. I do think the Grier/Flores combination is a good one.

Greg Rosenthal (NFL.COM) wrote:
1) Chris Ballard, Colts
2) Kevin Colbert, Steelers
3) Jason Licht, Buccaneers
4) Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott, Bills
5) Mickey Loomis, Saints
6) Rick Spielman, Vikings
7) Jon Robinson, Titans
8) Jerry Jones, Cowboys
9) John Lynch, 49ers
10) Brett Veach, Chiefs
11) Tom Telesco, Chargers
12) Pete Carroll/John Schneider, Seahawks
13) Brian Gutekunst, Packers
14) Duke Tobin, Bengals
15) Les Snead, Rams

16) Chris Grier, Dolphins

* Best pick: Laremy Tunsil | Round 1 (No. 13), 2016
* Worst pick: Charles Harris | Round 1 (No. 22), 2017

Grier has held the GM title since 2016, but Mike Tannenbaum was above him (VP of football operations) until 2019. I decided to evaluate the draft choices since Grier got the GM title, when his tenure started with a bang in a trade down with Philadelphia that wound up with the Dolphins taking Laremy Tunsil at No. 13 overall. (They took All-Pro Xavien Howard in the second round.) The Dolphins' drafts have been uneven since, but the Tunsil trade in 2019 -- the centerpiece of the team's rebuilding project -- continues to reap dividends. Now we just have to see if any of the five first-round picks and four second-rounders between 2020 and '21 produce any players as good as Tunsil or Minkah Fitzpatrick, who was dealt to Pittsburgh.

https://www.nfl.com/news/general-manage ... ft-edition

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So dead middle of the pack. His shopping skills I’d say are 50/50 but his ability to acquire extra picks through trades is near tops in the league (my impression).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Speaking of, where the hell is Charles Harris now?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:33 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

One of the things I've always liked about Kevin Tolbert is I believe he has picked a WR in every draft since he became GM. They always have a good WR corps. because he brings in so many.

Recently, the "most accurate" drafting GM's seem to be the guys whose team needs fall in line with where they're picking, and what prospect has the highest potential value at that point. Getting to fill a huge team need with the BPA makes a GM look pretty good.

That's why I want Miami moving back from 18. It doesn't look like what they need matches up with that spot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:01 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Rick Spielman sitting at #6. He got a bad rap here thanks to Wannstache.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:26 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Rick Spielman sitting at #6. He got a bad rap here thanks to Wannstache.

It was more Huizenga’s fault, who couldn’t bring himself to fire Wannstedt, which was what he needed to do while leaving Spielman at the front of the football side of the franchise, so he made them co-GM’s, and that simply had disaster written all over it and that’s how it turned out. It became a power struggle from then on.

That wasn’t Huizenga’s only eff-up. He allowed JJ to dictate who his replacement as HC would be. Wannstedt and JJ of course, were just another example of the football coaching buddy-buddy fraternity, so even outgoing as a failed mercenary JJ gave his out of work buddy a job. Then again, years later, Huizenga had to talk ($$) Satan into returning to the NFL, something his heart wasn’t totally into. It was reported that Huizenga flew up to meet Saban, and Saban, Mr. Arrogance in full dress, who was preparing his LSU team for some meaningless bowl game kept him waiting. That also had disaster written all over it.

Outside of Marino’s early years those are just another bleep in the Fins miserable history post-70s.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]