Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Not liking this draft
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:49 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Miami got too cute with the pre-draft trades. Had they held on to the #3 pick, they could've fleeced Atlanta for Pitts. Instead, they trade down and trade back up hoping Atlanta was going to take a QB and Cincy would take Sewell. Instead, their top two targets (Chase and Pitts) were both grabbed, leaving them to settle for Waddle.

Then they grab Phillips at 18, who has concussion concerns. If they wanted an established edge rusher, Paye would've been a much better choice.

Then they got cute again in the second round and traded up, giving up almost all of their day three picks to draft a safety when other needs were more pressing. They could've stood pat and gotten Eichenberg, but instead had to trade up to draft their next OT target.

Then in the third round with Trey Sermon and Michael Carter still on the board, they decide to not address the RB spot and grab a TE who I've never heard of.

And now we won't see them pick another player until late this afternoon.

TBH, I think this team blew a grand opportunity to get some serious talent in the fold. If these guys don't pan out, it could cost Grier his job.

Post subject: Not liking this draft
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Miami got too cute with the pre-draft trades. Had they held on to the #3 pick, they could've fleeced Atlanta for Pitts. Instead, they trade down and trade back up hoping Atlanta was going to take a QB and Cincy would take Sewell. Instead, their top two targets (Chase and Pitts) were both grabbed, leaving them to settle for Waddle.

Then they grab Phillips at 18, who has concussion concerns. If they wanted an established edge rusher, Paye would've been a much better choice.

Then they got cute again in the second round and traded up, giving up almost all of their day three picks to draft a safety when other needs were more pressing. They could've stood pat and gotten Eichenberg, but instead had to trade up to draft their next OT target.

Then in the third round with Trey Sermon and Michael Carter still on the board, they decide to not address the RB spot and grab a TE who I've never heard of.

And now we won't see them pick another player until late this afternoon.

TBH, I think this team blew a grand opportunity to get some serious talent in the fold. If these guys don't pan out, it could cost Grier his job.

Supposedly Waddle was their #2 overall pick in the draft. Not sure who #1 was, but this may be more about what fans think versus what the team thinks when it comes to player evaluation. While the draft didn’t pan out to my expectations, I don’t see any massively glaring problems with it either.
As for not getting a RB in the first three rounds, I’m in the minority of folks who don’t see that as a big deal. I think our running problems were more due to the young offensive line struggling to open up lanes than a major lack of talent at the RB position. That being said, I would have been ok with Najee Harris at 18, had they gone that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes. This draft is another head scratching crap fest from Grier an pals. They are high on themselves still for all the picks they got by taking away a starting tackle, but have no idea what to do with the picks. Now they seem addicted to wheeling and dealing, but they end up outsmarting themselves. I think they have now traded away all their 1-3 round picks gained this year, bar a 1st in 2023. The result, they take Waddle too early in the draft and it looks like they missed on their targets. To show how stupid the thought process is here, they draft a TE in the 3rd, when they could have had Pitts by sitting at 3. Waddle better turn into an all time great, because they pissed away a lot to get him. Then they gave up most of today’s picks (I see none in round 4 or 5....winning) for a tackle. I see that pick as the best in the draft by Miami, but it had better lead to a HUGE improvement in line play. The real rub....no running back to carry the load yet. Maybe we are going back to the run and shoot days of Mouse Davis? I have no confidence in choosing an edge rusher who was medically out of football in college and has concussion issues on top of getting injured on his moped. What is it with Miami and drafting medical issues....

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phinished wrote:
I have no confidence in choosing an edge rusher who was medically out of football in college and has concussion issues on top of getting injured on his moped. What is it with Miami and drafting medical issues....

Maybe if they keep his @ss off of two wheels the injuries become less of a red flag?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:09 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Everything is doom and gloom in here, but I keep hearing pundits (who come from the scouting and pro personnel world, not the former athlete with a mic in is face world) applaud the Dolphins draft, while admonishing other teams' efforts.

Silver Linings.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jgod1 wrote:
Everything is doom and gloom in here, but I keep hearing pundits (who come from the scouting and pro personnel world, not the former athlete with a mic in is face world) applaud the Dolphins draft, while admonishing other teams' efforts.

Silver Linings.

Miami is often the winner of the offseason, but on the outside looking in when the playoffs start....

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jgod1 wrote:

Silver Linings.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... e3wg675rw8

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:39 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

ArtieChokePhin wrote:
Miami got too cute with the pre-draft trades. Had they held on to the #3 pick, they could've fleeced Atlanta for Pitts.

Atlanta was targeting Trey Lance. After San Francisco swooped in they started talking Pitts and trade offers.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:47 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

My only concern with this draft is not getting a center. Other than that I thought they did a nice job. They need to get a few good years of play from Phillips.

Inexpensive running back options are going to shake free over the summer. New England drafted Rhamondre Stevenson so one of Damien Harris or Sony Michel will probably be available (or who knows, maybe Stevenson doesn't make the team).

I'm not into grading drafts because these players haven't even put a uniform on yet, but the talent is there to improve upon last year.

I would like to see one more vertical receiving threat added so that Miami has two of each type - Parker/Williams, Waddle/Bowden and Fuller/?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:33 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
My only concern with this draft is not getting a center. Other than that I thought they did a nice job. They need to get a few good years of play from Phillips.

I would like to see one more vertical receiving threat added so that Miami has two of each type - Parker/Williams, Waddle/Bowden and Fuller/?

Maybe they keep working Dieter as an option at center?

You could have Paker/Williams, Bowden/Perry/Waddle, and Fuller/Waddle. Waddle is certainly a deep threat. I also want to see what Kirk Merritt can do given a complete off-season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/do ... rk-merritt

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:23 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

prof123 wrote:

You could have Paker/Williams, Bowden/Perry/Waddle, and Fuller/Waddle. Waddle is certainly a deep threat. I also want to see what Kirk Merritt can do given a complete off-season.
I'm with you on Merritt. I'm hoping he comes to camp and blows the coaches away and allows Miami to trade either Parker or Fuller.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:14 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think this was a very solid draft. Yeah I wanted that big time RB too....Javonte was my man crush in this one...so the Broncos moving up to take him hurt my soul....but I bet Miami would have passed over him anyways.

Waddle was my #2 wr in this draft
Phillips was a GREAT pick
The ND OT was solid
Holland was definitely in the conversation as the best Safety
Being a guy from a town an hour and a half from Cincinnati...don't overlook Doaks...he's a solid back with good vision.

The Hunter Long pick was the biggest head scratcher to me....but the draft will never go exactly how a fan wants.

I think we will look back on this one as a great team building draft.

Sent from my 5062W using Tapatalk

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]