All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Do the Dolphins keep Gesicki and Ogbah for 2022+?
Both Gesicki and Ogbah 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Just Gesicki 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just Ogbah 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Total votes: 11
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Q:
Do you think we keep both Gesicki and Ogbah for 2022+?

Poupart:
Hey Dave, good question. I’m leaning toward both being re-signed but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk in either case. Of the two, I’d feel more confident about Ogbah being back than Gesicki, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I voted both, because that is what I would prefer. I believe in keeping your talent. However, the tea leaves as I see them seem to indicate that they will let Gesicki walk. I think Ogbah has proven himself to deserve being a priority.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:59 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gesicki is talented but isn’t the kinda football player his contract demands will be worth at his position. I’ve been saying the last couple seasons that I understand why he’s a fan favorite but he won’t be resigned as a top billed TE with Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:38 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I think Ogbah stays.

As for Gesicki, it depends on how confident the team is in Hunter Long. Is he not logging snaps right now simply because they are slowly grooming him to jump in next year?

If they are unsure about Long I could see Miami franchising Gesicki and letting him walk after 2022. If Long looks legit down the stretch then Miami lets Gesicki test the market and probably gets a 3rd Round comp pick.

Gesicki has a lot of value right now because he draws attention away from other targets. If Parker and Fuller were on the field Gesicki would see more targets. Miami best have a plan to get more weapons for Tua if they decide to move on from Gesicki.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:26 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gesicki is drawing a lot of coverage these days….without him, the situation would just get worse. When you have a #1 WR (like Parker…..who seemingly is never available except in a contract year), guys like Gesicki will soar in value.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:57 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
Gesicki is drawing a lot of coverage these days….without him, the situation would just get worse. When you have a #1 WR (like Parker…..who seemingly is never available except in a contract year), guys like Gesicki will soar in value.

Yep. Those of us who have Gesicki in our fantasy leagues will harp on the fact that his stats disappear in games, but if you watch him, defenses consider him one of our best weapons. He draws the best DB sometimes and gets double-teamed.

I voted both for 2022. I think we will franchise him for a year and see how Hunter Long does. Also, we can get something for him if we at least franchise him and trade him. Many teams are smart and know the value of a pass catching tight end. I'm not sure if we do.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:19 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Phinished wrote:

Yep. Those of us who have Gesicki in our fantasy leagues will harp on the fact that his stats disappear in games, but if you watch him, defenses consider him one of our best weapons. He draws the best DB sometimes and gets double-teamed.

I voted both for 2022. I think we will franchise him for a year and see how Hunter Long does. Also, we can get something for him if we at least franchise him and trade him. Many teams are smart and know the value of a pass catching tight end. I'm not sure if we do.

He is a serious weapon and has proven his worth. I guarantee there would be a stampede if he were to hit the market. I have a hard time believing Hunter Long will end up being as good a receiver as Gesicki…able to win the jump balls consistently. I hoped Long could replace a blocking tight end and be a tandem with Gesicki…..not replace him. Can you imagine Gesicki as a Falcon, or a Chief….or worse yet, a Patriot?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:54 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just to be clear, I am a huge fan of re-signing Gesicki. I would have already extended him (and Ogbah).

But seeing how Grier/Flores operate, I am guessing they franchise him at best and let him walk at worst.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:

He is a serious weapon and has proven his worth. I guarantee there would be a stampede if he were to hit the market. I have a hard time believing Hunter Long will end up being as good a receiver as Gesicki…able to win the jump balls consistently. I hoped Long could replace a blocking tight end and be a tandem with Gesicki…..not replace him. Can you imagine Gesicki as a Falcon, or a Chief….or worse yet, a Patriot?

Gesicki is the TE version of a Brian Hartline plus. Shows up for 2-3 games a yr. Looks awesome, then disappears for the majority of the rest of the games. For the contract he will demand, I simply do not see it.

In 12 games this yr he has had three games over 60 Yds and two games where he never caught a pass. The fact he only has two TD's speaks to the Hartline comment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Phinished wrote:

Gesicki is the TE version of a Brian Hartline plus. Shows up for 2-3 games a yr. Looks awesome, then disappears for the majority of the rest of the games. For the contract he will demand, I simply do not see it.

In 12 games this yr he has had three games over 60 Yds and two games where he never caught a pass. The fact he only has two TD's speaks to the Hartline comment.

I’ve only been able to watch one game all the way thru this entire season so I can’t speak on what I’ve seen from ineptitude on the coaching aspect in getting Gesicki deployed on the field, but in a contract year, it’s hard to justify what his agent will inevitably be demanding and that it inevitably will not reflect what he’s brought to the team this season.

But that’s the world of professional American sports and especially the NFL. Players consistently bite into way too much of the cap and it makes you wonder how sober these people are when they write these contracts.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]