Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: OL Update
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:28 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The disappointing news first: the Dolphins gave up a 3rd round pick next year to move up to draft Eichemberg early in the second round to make Eich Tua's protector of his blind side at RT. The Dolphins have moved him to LG and elevated Jesse Davis to RT. Although dependable, that isn't what the Dolphins need there. That's why there is chatter that the Dolphins are keeping an eye on OLmen on the waiver wire. Eich is natural on the left side, so, I expect him to turn into a very good guard for us, but that isn't why we drafted him.

The good news is that Dieter, our 2019 mid-3rd round pick, has worked hard and into the starting center position.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
Starting left guard: Liam Eichenberg has been in that position for seven consecutive practices and is thus the front-runner, though offensive line coach Lem Jeanpierre said he’s uncertain if Eichenberg will stay at guard. He’s first on the depth chart at left guard, with Solomon Kindley second team.

Starting right tackle: Jesse Davis has been in that position for seven consecutive practices and is first team on the depth chart. FYI: Adam Pankey and Jonathan Hubbard are listed as the top backup offensive tackles behind Austin Jackson and Davis.

Starting center: Michael Deiter has been the first team center all 10 days of practice and is first team on the depth chart, with Matt Skura second and Cameron Tom third.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Post subject: Re: OL Update
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:45 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I wouldn't lose too much sleep on this one.

Laremy Tunsil started his rookie season at guard due to a need there.

Eichenberg will find his way over to tackle (which he already knows how to play) eventually.

Davis just needs to be serviceable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:09 am 

Which of our wide receivers has the greatest trade value? We need to trade some of them before we cut them. Here are some thoughts:
Waddle and Fuller: No chance of getting traded.
Parker: Most accomplished and could probably be traded for a serviceable starting tackle.
Wilson: He might have trade value if teams see how well he is playing now. However, I think we will want to keep him, since Waddle is likely to be brought along slowly, and we need his skills now.
Grant: Has value as a returner and could probably yield a late round pick, OL depth, or a young prospoect
Bowden: Talented, supposedly. Where has he been this summer? Not much trade value.
Hurns: Will likely be cut. No trade value.
Preston Williams: If healthy, would have some trade value, but he is too talented for us to get rid of him. He is worth more to us.
Ford and Foster: They have shown promise, but no real trade value.

In short, Parker is probably the only WR we could trade that would upgrade our OL.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

prof123 wrote:
Wilson: He might have trade value if teams see how well he is playing now. However, I think we will want to keep him, since Waddle is likely to be brought along slowly, and we need his skills now.

He's great in the slot. What I like about him is that he is a WR with a RB's body.

prof123 wrote:
Grant: Has value as a returner and could probably yield a late round pick, OL depth, or a young prospoect
Bowden: Talented, supposedly. Where has he been this summer? Not much trade value.

Grant is our best trade bait. I'd like to see him stick, but not at the expense of cutting Bowden whom we traded a draft pick for. Bowden is also great in the wildcat as he can do everything, especially throw the ball accurately to keep defense honest in facing that formation.

prof123 wrote:
... we could trade that would upgrade our OL.

So, I imagine if we trade for someone, it will only be for one year as we have a lot of young players we drafted who look good enough to start. You never know what the front office thinking though. There are actually a couple OTs available in FA that could start for us in Erving and Fischer if we can get them for a 1 year contract.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:34 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

With the health history of Miami's receivers I doubt anyone is offering a trade.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
Which of our wide receivers has the greatest trade value? We need to trade some of them before we cut them. Here are some thoughts:
Waddle and Fuller: No chance of getting traded.
Parker: Most accomplished and could probably be traded for a serviceable starting tackle.
Hurns: Will likely be cut. No trade value.
Preston Williams: If healthy, would have some trade value, but he is too talented for us to get rid of him. He is worth more to us.
Ford and Foster: They have shown promise, but no real trade value.

In short, Parker is probably the only WR we could trade that would upgrade our OL.

Parker and Williams are the only jump ball WR’s we have….they also get ouchies a lot. You have to keep both, especially since Williams is still cheap. Gesicki is good at contested balls, but he can not be the only one. Prototypical NFL featured WR’s are typically tall, yet speedy and nimble freaks. Steve Smith was one of a very few exceptions I remember and he will probably be first ballot HOF. Trade or cut a smurf…we have too many.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:11 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Eich has a shoulder injury. BTW, what happened to easy names to spell like "Larry Little"?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:38 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Ill see your Liam Eichenberg and raise you two Jeff Uhlenhakes and a Bob Kuechenberg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:11 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

k-dash wrote:
Ill see your Liam Eichenberg and raise you two Jeff Uhlenhakes and a Bob Kuechenberg

:haha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:03 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I want to share this with you all to show you that moving from one side of the OL to the other is difficult even for the overall #7 pick Sewell. It's a difficult transition, especially for a rookie that has always played a certain position in college, that takes time. Just give Eich time to develop and don't "Tua" him as some fans just don't have the patience any longer to see a player develop.

PFF wrote:
7. OT Penei Sewell, Detroit Lions
48.3 overall | 43 snaps

Sewell has looked nothing short of uncomfortable after switching to the right side this preseason; the depth of his sets and his hand usage are all over the place. Sewell has allowed three pressures on 27 pass-blocking snaps and just needs more reps.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-32-first-r ... eek-2-2021

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:22 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Sewell has looked nothing short of uncomfortable after switching to the right side this preseason; the depth of his sets and his hand usage are all over the place. Sewell has allowed three pressures on 27 pass-blocking snaps and just needs more reps.

Never understood why teams do this stuff with high picks and high priced FA. I get it with lower Rd. picks, but not a top 10 picks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Never understood why teams do this stuff with high picks and high priced FA. I get it with lower Rd. picks, but not a top 10 picks.

I don't either. It's like trying to train a person who is left handed to start throwing right handed. Their brain will have to get rewired which takes time.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]