Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:11 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

The Dolphins +1 in turnover ratio and only had 5 penalties for 28 yards. This was the difference in the game as the team struggled to do anything else consistently well.

The Bad

The Dolphins were soundly beaten in the time of possession department. This is a combination of the Patriots running the ball well (125 yards, 4.2 ypc) and the Dolphins being inconsistent in running the ball (74 yards, 3.2 ypc). The only player that ran the ball well for the Dolphins was Myles Gaskin (9 carries, 49 yards) but obviously he did not get enough touches.

Pass protection was iffy, with Tua having to run for his life more than a couple of times, including on an ill-fated play where he was trying to get away from pressure and chucked up a pass to the sideline that was picked off by Jonathan Jones.

The receviers seemed to struggle getting open as often times, Tue was trying to fit the ball into tight windows. Meanwhile, the Patriots receivers always seemed to have a nice cushion and in some cases were running wide open.

The Ugly

Tua had an ugly game, completing 59% of his passes (one incompletion was a bad drop by Jaylen Waddle) and throwing 1 TD and 1 pick. He also ran for a TD. The drives to start each half were things of beauty, with the Dolphins getting touchdowns in each and Tua looking confident. But in between was a mish mash of inconsistency.

Overall

A win is a win and the Dolphins were the only team to win in the AFC East, so that's a good start to the season. It was also a win on the road, in New England, which is a rarity. A team that wins on the road against a tough opponent despite not playing well is a team that demonstrates other intangible elements that are important to winning. So this is a good sign.

But next week the Dolphins will play the Bills in Miami, coming off a disappointing loss against the Steelers. The Dolphins will need to put together a better performance to win that one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:46 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Thanks for the write up Rich, good job per usual.

For me personally I am encouraged by the win and the play overall by the Phins.

I expect the team and of course players to improve.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:56 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Great job Rich. Good...lot's of room for improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Thanks Rich, nice write up.

I said in my season preview that the Dolphins will only go as far as the trenches take them. It was an ugly game for both lines but they won against a very formidable opponent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Thanks, Rich, for the GBU. Nicely done as per your usual.

Rich wrote:
The receviers seemed to struggle getting open as often times, Tue was trying to fit the ball into tight windows. Meanwhile, the Patriots receivers always seemed to have a nice cushion and in some cases were running wide open.

The Dolphins struggled in coverage while the Patriots receivers were very open. The "bend all the way to the red zone, but don't break" philosophy is going to wear down our defense. They've got to start forcing more 3 and outs with better run defense. I am wondering if the Dolphins could use a real natural thumper in the middle and if some of it is scheme related.

Rich wrote:
A win is a win and the Dolphins were the only team to win in the AFC East, so that's a good start to the season. It was also a win on the road, in New England, which is a rarity. A team that wins on the road against a tough opponent despite not playing well is a team that demonstrates other intangible elements that are important to winning. So this is a good sign.

Flores is 3-2 vs Belicheat, and he finally won his first game of the season and on the road in NE. As getting usual, Xavien Howard saved the game with a turnover. If the Dolphins hadn't extended him, this may not have happened. I think the Dolphins got a gift with the first turnover as even in slow motion it was hard to tell whether it was a fumble or not.

The Dolphins need more players with this mindset ...

Miami Herald wrote:
“Every game I feel like I have to make something happen for the team and give the ball to the offense,” Howard said. “My mindset was get the ball out, you know. We needed it and it was crucial so I made it happen.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:46 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Definitely not a thing of beauty, but its a win against a division rival on the road. That is huge for the Dolphins. When it comes to determining the playoff seeding at the end of the season, winning division games counts. Its also week 1, and there were a lot of teams that looked a bit rocky in week 1 that we know will get better down the stretch.

Yes it was a bit ugly, but it is a promising start!

PS. I dont think we had any significant injuries in the game, so that is a really good sign.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:46 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

X really does feel like a special player regardless of the off-season fiasco with his agent. I was unable to catch the vast majority of the 2nd half, what was the context behind his INT? Crunch time?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:49 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich - great write up as always. I would have added in the Good section the fact that we were able to run out the clock in the final 3 minutes to seal the win. We were able to get a couple of first downs and they did not get the ball back. This is what good teams do to get the wins.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:54 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
X really does feel like a special player regardless of the off-season fiasco with his agent. I was unable to catch the vast majority of the 2nd half, what was the context behind his INT? Crunch time?

Howard forced a fumble inside the 10 that basically sealed the victory.

If you're asking about Tua's INT, pressure got to him and he tried to spin away and launch the ball. Not enough mustard to make it to the sideline and it was bobbled by a few people before getting picked. It was bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:55 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Devante Parker came up with some huge plays too. His sideline leaping catch was a thing of beauty. He also produced a few key quick slants.

Don't forget they will have Fuller next week too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:31 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Devante Parker came up with some huge plays too. His sideline leaping catch was a thing of beauty. He also produced a few key quick slants.

Don't forget they will have Fuller next week too.

I'd like to see Tua realize that he doesn't have to throw a perfect pass to Parker as he does not gain a lot of separation. Parker is skilled at outleaping the smaller DBs for the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Oh, thought X may have sealed victory with an INT. Hopefully Tua learns from the mistakes. Fish Baron made a good point about the team not going 3 & out on the last drive to win. Sloppy, but Miami got the W at New England to open the season so can’t be overwhelmed by disappointment.

Big Dave wrote:
I'd like to see Tua realize that he doesn't have to throw a perfect pass to Parker as he does not gain a lot of separation. Parker is skilled at outleaping the smaller DBs for the ball.

I look at Tua as a precision point guard kinda QB which is why I don’t see him doing too well gunslinging over the middle to guys like Parker & Gesicki.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
Meanwhile, the Patriots receivers always seemed to have a nice cushion and in some cases were running wide open.

PFF's stats on our secondary.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:53 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:
Meanwhile, the Patriots receivers always seemed to have a nice cushion and in some cases were running wide open.

PFF's stats on our secondary.

That is basically only about 100 yards. The cornerbacks and safeties were not the problem -- it isn't like we had wide receivers running open through the secondary all game long. Rather, it was all the underneath stuff. I'd like to see the pass coverage ratings of our LBs. Jones was adept at finding the right guy very quickly, before taking a sack, and that usually meant dump offs. We could not get off the field on third down. Did the Patriots punt more than once or twice?

Maybe that is the philosophy of the "bend, don't break" defense. Give up the short stuff and hope the opps turn it over or commit a costly penalty before they finish off the drive with a TD.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:29 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

prof123 wrote:
That is basically only about 100 yards. The cornerbacks and safeties were not the problem -- it isn't like we had wide receivers running open through the secondary all game long. Rather, it was all the underneath stuff. I'd like to see the pass coverage ratings of our LBs. Jones was adept at finding the right guy very quickly, before taking a sack, and that usually meant dump offs. We could not get off the field on third down. Did the Patriots punt more than once or twice?

Maybe that is the philosophy of the "bend, don't break" defense. Give up the short stuff and hope the opps turn it over or commit a costly penalty before they finish off the drive with a TD.

Well, the "Tampa 2" doesn't give up the deep pass, and neither does the "Flores Bend But Don't Break" soft coverage, but tackle them after the catch. I do think some of it was the zone coverage which needs to be tightened up, but most of these players played the same positions in our secondary as last year.

Also, these 18 passes are half of the total of pass attempts by Mac Jones. I'd like to see which linebackers were targeted the most yesterday in passing downs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:31 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just rewatched the video of Tua's interception.

Judon absolutely pancaked Jesse Davis. Robert Hunt was beaten badly too.

The OL needs to sharpen up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

No excuses. He was outside of the tackle box. He can throw it away. He is not required to attempt a completion. He coukd aim it to the sidelines. No excuse for that panicky move….none. Tua looked like the rookie yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:

No excuses. He was outside of the tackle box. He can throw it away. He is not required to attempt a completion. He coukd aim it to the sidelines. No excuse for that panicky move….none. Tua looked like the rookie yesterday.

Seriously? Mac Jones has the "it " for 5 yd throws and Tua looked like a rookie? One can tell that some continue to seek out reason justify what they are already looking for. It took 3 tips for that pass to be picked. Why not put some blame on our Ghost TE Gesicki who tipped it up twice? Waddle almost came in for the catch..

I'm not sure that pass was not meant to go out of bounds, but with Uche about to destroy him he was not able to get enough on it to throw it out of bounds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It should have been thrown away. He did not look composed at all on that play. Jones stood in there and delivered and took the shots. Tua gets some leash because the line is poor and the receivers dropped some catchable balls, but that bonehead play was all on him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:00 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phinished wrote:
It should have been thrown away. He did not look composed at all on that play. Jones stood in there and delivered and took the shots. Tua gets some leash because the line is poor and the receivers dropped some catchable balls, but that bonehead play was all on him.

There is no hedging this play, no defense, no excuse. Tua was trying to throw it away but running to his right, getting tripped up as he threw it, throwing across his body and not having much arm strength to begin with resulted in an up for grabs floater that didn't have enough on it to make it out of bounds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:
jammer wrote:

I'm not disagreeing on the interception being his fault. He tried to throw it away and lacked any zip. He should have taken the sack.

But it still doesn't change the fact that his OL was hot garbage on the play and got him pummeled.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:

Post game interview he said that was throwing it out of bounds but it came up short. He also got pounded. He probably thought he was still within the tackle box and had to throw it over a receiver. I thought he threw well in the game, but your QB has to move the team consistently. He has to separate himself in this category from the 20+ QBs we've had since Marino.

I love the confidence the Dolphins have in Tua deep in our territory here. This is such a Brady-call.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:45 am 

I believe Gesicki got two hands on the ball before anyone else, seems to me if you get two hands on the ball you should catch it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
I believe Gesicki got two hands on the ball before anyone else, seems to me if you get two hands on the ball you should catch it.

Exactly. He had two chances to catch the ball. While the throw from Tua was a horrible one, Gesicki should be called out, too. He didn't get many opportunities this game, but he blew a chance to help out his QB on that play.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Quote:
... but he blew a chance to help out his QB on that play.

Don’t you worry none, help is on the way, even if it takes the next 10 drafts......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phinished wrote:
jammer wrote:

I would agree, it was a boneheaded move. I wouldn’t go so far to say Tua looked like a Rookie, his decision making must improve though. Bottom line is he lead us on two TD drives and Jones only got one off the benefit of a horrible RTP call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Phinished wrote:
jammer wrote:

I would agree, it was a boneheaded move. I wouldn’t go so far to say Tua looked like a Rookie, his decision making must improve though. Bottom line is he lead us on two TD drives and Jones only got one off the benefit of a horrible RTP call.

That INT play was just awful and yes, we expect that from rookies. Outside the pocket, he can throw it away anywhere….he is not required to find a receiver to be close to his throw….he does not need to throw up a prayer. He lacked poise on that play and simply panicked. Maybe he can fix this, but he has been a QB for many years now against top competition and that play is football 101….throw it away young man. He also took a sack with the team in field goal range on Sunday. He was not supposed to be a project. He was supposed to be a franchise QB ready to go…but I really think that injury affected his game quite a bit.

I was impressed with his accuracy on some of his throws Sunday, often leading his receivers to max out the YAC. The issues I see with him is that he seems to not perform well under pressure and he really has no elusiveness and lacks the running ability he seems to have had pre-injury. I also do not see signs that he is able to progress rapidly through his reads…and he really does not look off defenders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:04 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phinished wrote:

I was impressed with his accuracy on some of his throws Sunday, often leading his receivers to max out the YAC. The issues I see with him is that he seems to not perform well under pressure and he really has no elusiveness and lacks the running ability he seems to have had pre-injury. I also do not see signs that he is able to progress rapidly through his reads…and he really does not look off defenders.

It is a fair assessment of how he played. What does it mean looking forward?
His running ability is not going to improve. He is never going to be able to do the things we saw Lamar Jackson do last night. Of course few QBs can. However, he is at least a decent runner -- he isn't Marino, Brady, or Manning back there. What is more important is pocket presence and being able to anticipate pressure and get to the right spot. He didn't do that on the INT, but it should get better.

It is hard to improve one's accuracy, and fortunately that is an area where he excels. Progressing through reads and looking off defenders are areas that can be improved with experience. We haven't seen the finished product on him yet in these areas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phinished wrote:
Phin wrote:
Phinished wrote:
jammer wrote:

That INT play was just awful and yes, we expect that from rookies. Outside the pocket, he can throw it away anywhere….he is not required to find a receiver to be close to his throw….he does not need to throw up a prayer. He lacked poise on that play and simply panicked. Maybe he can fix this, but he has been a QB for many years now against top competition and that play is football 101….throw it away young man. He also took a sack with the team in field goal range on Sunday. He was not supposed to be a project. He was supposed to be a franchise QB ready to go…but I really think that injury affected his game quite a bit.

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or serious. Regardless, I enjoyed a good laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:47 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Good job, Rich. I always enjoy your writeups.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just watched some of the highlights again.

I'm worried about the pass rush and short yardage defense. I know NE has a good OL but they did lose their starting LT early on.

A more experienced QB will take advantage with the time Mac Jones had to throw on several plays.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

I'm worried about the pass rush and short yardage defense. I know NE has a good OL but they did lose their starting LT early on.

A more experienced QB will take advantage with the time Mac Jones had to throw on several plays.

Even worse is Josh Allen can run. Jones did not have his speed or mobility. The Bills also have better WR’s than the Pats, but I see they have a couple questionable depth guys there for Sunday….

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:43 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:
jammer wrote:

Even worse is Josh Allen can run. Jones did not have his speed or mobility. The Bills also have better WR’s than the Pats, but I see they have a couple questionable depth guys there for Sunday….

Bottom line is unless the weather causes early fatigue for the Bills I think Miami will need to score at least 27 to win this one. I agree with you that Josh Allen can run all over Miami's defense if he needs to, and his stats against Miami are awesome dating back to 2018.

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]