Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dolphins OL | PFF
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:34 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dolphins faced an expensive and well-coached defense. That was a tough job for this young unit. It was evident by Tua escaping to his right that the left side was failing before the right side.

PFF wrote:
Offensive Line

Pass-protection can be tough when facing a defense like the Patriots, and that proved true for the Dolphins. Every starting offensive lineman allowed at least one pressure. Jesse Davis was the only starter to earn a pass-blocking grade above 70.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-gam ... atriots-16

Post subject: Re: Dolphins OL | PFF
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:51 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I see what you're saying Dave, but I thought Eichenberg did a decent job outside of that awful pancake from Uche. I wonder if he is the LT going forward? Or maybe he regains the LG spot?

Kindley was called for ineligible receiver up the field that killed a good play. Looks like PFF saw him as the major problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Looks like Eich did a solid job. He did have a few "rookie" mistakes but that was a promising start.

At times, the interior line was able to push back the defense too. Just not consistently enough.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tua going to his right sounds like a disaster.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:12 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I guess Kindley is eating his way off the team….and Eichenberg’s pancake came courtesy of Kindley’s leg tripping him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:53 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Keep in mind that the Dolphins OL doesn't have the chemistry yet as they moved everyone around from last year. Even the Jets were ranked higher than this group. Why? The Dolphins faced a well-coached, and expensive and talented Patriots defense. I expect to see them steadily improve.

NFL Week 1 Offensive Line Rankings (Pro Football Focus) wrote:
29. MIAMI DOLPHINS
Second-round rookie Liam Eichenberg started Week 1 in relief of 2020 first-rounder Austin Jackson and looked like he might be a solid upgrade. Eichenberg allowed just one hurry on 20 pass-blocking snaps, though only six of them were true pass sets. Such is the way the Dolphins' offense is able to protect its linemen with the scheme. This group is still trying to find its identity, but if Eichenberg continues to play well and Robert Hunt and Solomon Kindley stay on upward trajectories, there is a nucleus of a good line here.

5. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
The Patriots have completely pivoted on offense toward more of a power game. They ran more plays with two tight ends in Week 1 (35) than in all of 2020 (31), and they’ve built an offensive line for it. Still, Week 1 wasn’t a great performance by the group. Right tackle Trent Brown lasted just seven snaps before suffering an injury, and left tackle Isaiah Wynn allowed three hits on the quarterback.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-off ... kings-2021

So, PFF's grades are subjective, but they do give an indication of the success of a player.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

“29. MIAMI DOLPHINS
Second-round rookie Liam Eichenberg started Week 1 in relief of 2020 first-rounder Austin Jackson and looked like he might be a solid upgrade. Eichenberg allowed just one hurry on 20 pass-blocking snaps, though only six of them were true pass sets. Such is the way the Dolphins' offense is able to protect its linemen with the scheme. This group is still trying to find its identity, but if Eichenberg continues to play well and Robert Hunt and Solomon Kindley stay on upward trajectories, there is a nucleus of a good line here.”

On what planet idoes Kindley’s putrid pass blocking grade of 35.2 point to an “upward trajectory?” I think the line play will improve with the benching of both Jackson and Kindley.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:05 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phinished wrote:
On what planet idoes Kindley’s putrid pass blocking grade of 35.2 point to an “upward trajectory?” I think the line play will improve with the benching of both Jackson and Kindley.

lol. Maybe they are talking about him being 3rd string LG this summer, because that would be the only upward trajectory.

:haha

So, I can see Austin Jackson back at LT next week, and I would slide Eich over to LG. What happened to the promise of Kindley last year? Refresh my memory, but wasn't Kindley at RG last year?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
So, I can see Austin Jackson back at LT next week, and I would slide Eich over to LG. What happened to the promise of Kindley last year? Refresh my memory, but wasn't Kindley at RG last year?

Kindley capitalized on Eicheberg getting dinged up. I agree they should swap but I'm starting to believe Eichenberg may be the LT of the future.

Jackson is athletic enough to play in another spot. Don't forget that Dieter was a failed guard who looks solid at center. Maybe Jackson kicks inside or eventually replaces Davis?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Kindley capitalized on Eicheberg getting dinged up. I agree they should swap but I'm starting to believe Eichenberg may be the LT of the future.

Jackson is athletic enough to play in another spot. Don't forget that Dieter was a failed guard who looks solid at center. Maybe Jackson kicks inside or eventually replaces Davis?

….or maybe he finds a career outside of the NFL? He was a reach in the first round. Dieter seems to have figured it out…but wasn’t he a 3rd rounder? Jackson has not shown us much so far…except how to be a matador.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:54 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:
….or maybe he finds a career outside of the NFL? He was a reach in the first round. Dieter seems to have figured it out…but wasn’t he a 3rd rounder? Jackson has not shown us much so far…except how to be a matador.

The point of the comparison is that some guys just take more time and maybe are suited for a different position. I'm not worried about which round they were drafted in. If Jackson becomes a good starter somewhere on the OL then the pick was worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Phinished wrote:

The point of the comparison is that some guys just take more time and maybe are suited for a different position. I'm not worried about which round they were drafted in. If Jackson becomes a good starter somewhere on the OL then the pick was worth it.

No, he’s done. Write him off. Let’s move on -he wasn’t an instant success.
Seriously though, we knew Jackson was raw but had a lot of potential. I think he will work out yet. It may or may not be at LT though. He seems to lack hand speed to play LT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:36 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phin wrote:
Seriously though, we knew Jackson was raw but had a lot of potential. I think he will work out yet. It may or may not be at LT though. He seems to lack hand speed to play LT.

Miami Fan: Why doesn't Miami ever develop talent?

Same Miami Fan: Why do players leave Miami and have success with other teams?

Same Miami Fan: They need to cut him ( Insert young players name ) because he sucks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Phin wrote:

Miami Fan: Why doesn't Miami ever develop talent?

Same Miami Fan: Why do players leave Miami and have success with other teams?

Same Miami Fan: They need to cut him ( Insert young players name ) because he sucks

Please explain to me what Austin Jackson has done for 2 years other than score extremely low PFF scores as an offensive lineman? He was a 1st round pick. If the team reached to draft someone who was not ready to play in the 1st round, then that is just sad. My problem is this is the kind of guy we keep while we send Tunstil and Minkah Fitzpatrick packing. At least they kept X man….for now. Oh…how well is that Igby pick working out? Another 1st round project? Just wow…

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
Please explain to me what Austin Jackson has done for 2 years other than score extremely low PFF scores as an offensive lineman?
Two yrs? Wasn't last yr his rookie yr or did I Rip Van Winkle his Soph. yr? Is PFF now the only measuring stick if player is good or not? Asking for a friend.

Phinished wrote:
He was a 1st round pick. If the team reached to draft someone who was not ready to play in the 1st round, then that is just sad.
I do not disagree, but if a team does, then they need to develop the talent and be patient

Phinished wrote:
My problem is this is the kind of guy we keep while we send Tunstil and Minkah Fitzpatrick packing. At least they kept X man….for now. Oh…how well is that Igby pick working out? Another 1st round project? Just wow…

I'm well declared on this board and my opinion of trading Minkah. Again it was reported that Igby was a talented project when they drafted him. Can't speak to him, because until Miami drafted him had no clue who he was.

Also, sometimes teams miss on their picks. Majority of 1st Rd. picks never reach the level of expect results of being a 1st Rd. pick. Just curious. Do you compare what Miami does, in relationship for NFL avg or any other team? Its not like there is a team out there hitting on everyone of their top picks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Start Jackson at LG and see if his athleticism is a fit.

The only bad play I saw from Eichenberg was the result of Kindley tripping him. He handled his assignments well and moved people. That is what you want to see.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:32 am 

jammer wrote:
Start Jackson at LG and see if his athleticism is a fit.

The only bad play I saw from Eichenberg was the result of Kindley tripping him. He handled his assignments well and moved people. That is what you want to see.

Agree. Eich did a solid job for his first NFL start.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:53 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Watching this team throughout the span of my life has me appreciating a solid offensive trench unit like nothing else. They rank bottom FIVE with consistency seemingly year, after year, after year.

It’s a common denominator to Miami’s culture of suck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:45 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

My issue is, with all the picks this team had, they could've and should've retooled this line and added a top flight running back. They did neither outside of Eichenberg.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]