All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
Not bad. Jevon Holland is going to be another turnover machine for us in the mold of Xavien Howard. Phillips is still being worked into the lineup due to coming off an injury which kept him out of practice for several weeks. I'd like to see him at DE rather than LB, but the coaches should know what they're doing with him. This looks to be a good rookie class if Phillips can get things going.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
▪ Linebacker: Rookie Jaelan Phillips played only 22 of Miami’s 75 defensive plays — slightly less than Brennan Scarlett’s 26 — and rushed the passer on 20 of those snaps, producing just one pressure. The Dolphins used Phillips several times in pass coverage in the preseason finale against Cincinnati but opted not to do that Sunday.

▪ Rookie Jevon Holland played 24 snaps — mostly in dime situations — and forced a fumble that New England recovered. He wasn’t targeted in pass coverage, and PFF rated him the Dolphins’ second-best defensive player on Sunday, with Ogbah first and Howard third.

Liam Eichenberg, making his NFL debut at his college position (left tackle), committed two penalties and appeared to allow one sack after tripping on Kindley’s leg. Right guard Robert Hunt graded out best in pass blocking.

▪ Durham Smythe played 38 offensive snaps, compared with 21 for Gesicki. With Adam Shaheen unavailable, rookie Hunter Long played nearly as much as Gesicki (18 snaps), and competent blocker Cethan Carter logged 13 snaps. Gesicki assuredly will have a larger role in future games, but the Dolphins were more comfortable going with a Smythe/Long combo in late-game running situations.

▪ DeVante Parker played 45 of Miami’s 54 offensive snaps and Jaylen Waddle logged 43; both were targeted six times and both caught four passes.


Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Am I the only one who doesn’t see the Tua to Gesicki combo working out?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:16 am 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:17 pm
Posts: 137
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn’t see the Tua to Gesicki combo working out?


My initial thought is that the coaches wanted more protection for Tua and were concerned about the base 5, so they played the other TEs to get more options for blocking which is why we did not see Gesicki as much. It is interesting to note that when Gesicki did play, these were almost always passing plays where he was a pass catcher.

I to suspect that we will see more Gesicki in future games as a pass threat.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
Gesicki will be a shadow of himself this year, because Tua is a game manager and will not throw up jump balls. At least the team figured out how to run a slant this year and that is some easy yardage with a target with size, like Parker.

The offense still can’t execute screen passes either. On a key 3rd and long in the shadow of their goal post, an excellent call was made to throw a screen pass. The execution was comically bad and the Pats blew that play up. Does anyone have access to the video for that one? It was so, so badly executed.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
Phinished wrote:
Gesicki will be a shadow of himself this year, because Tua is a game manager and will not throw up jump balls.


The guy that threw three jump balls against the Patriots will not throw up jump balls.

Did you actually watch the game???

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Gesicki will be a shadow of himself this year, because Tua is a game manager and will not throw up jump balls.


The guy that threw three jump balls against the Patriots will not throw up jump balls.

Did you actually watch the game???


The throw to Parker on the sideline was not a 50/50 ball. Parker had position and yes, that throw was pretty sweet. Never saw any jump balls to Gesicki.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
I was impressed by Holland. I think we had bigger needs in the draft, but he is sure starting out impressively. It just pains me that we let a perennial pro bowler like Minkah get away.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8187
I don't feel your pain.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:12 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
AQNOR wrote:
I don't feel your pain.


Well…if we had managed to keep Minkah, we would not have had to then draft Holland, I suspect. Then the team could have pissed away another pick on a reach like Austin Jackson….who, by the way, we acquired with that trade of Minkah Fitzpatrick. So….you traded away a pro bowler who is kicking a s s for the Steelers and reached for a tackle who grades out around a 39 per PFF. Then, you have to use more high picks on a secondary that should have been fine. The coaching staff and owner need to figure out how to select, groom and keep talent. https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/ ... n-jackson/


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
Phinished wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
I don't feel your pain.


Well…if we had managed to keep Minkah, we would not have had to then draft Holland, I suspect. Then the team could have pissed away another pick on a reach like Austin Jackson….who, by the way, we acquired with that trade of Minkah Fitzpatrick. So….you traded away a pro bowler who is kicking a s s for the Steelers and reached for a tackle who grades out around a 39 per PFF. Then, you have to use more high picks on a secondary that should have been fine. The coaching staff and owner need to figure out how to select, groom and keep talent. https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/ ... n-jackson/


You're going to have to get over that and move on. No one thought it was a good idea, and the only reason they probably traded him was because Flores was a new coach and needed his system and his authority in place. Minkah was pushing back and performing poorly (and why was that??). All of a sudden he didn't want to move back and forth after doing it his entire career. Go figure. It isn't all on the Dolphins.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7477
Big Dave wrote:
You're going to have to get over that and move on. No one thought it was a good idea, and the only reason they probably traded him was because Flores was a new coach and needed his system and his authority in place. Minkah was pushing back and performing poorly (and why was that??). All of a sudden he didn't want to move back and forth after doing it his entire career. Go figure. It isn't all on the Dolphins.

Does anyone else feel that some Miami fans are archaeologist? Continually digging up the past?
No one wanted Miami to tell him to man up and be a pro more than myself. However, what is done is done. Move forward.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 3809
In the eyes of many fans (and some posters here and on all other fan sites I suspect), anything that can be used against the current regime and/or QB can and will be, regardless of circumstances. The ONLY thing that will change that is winning. Strangely, it really seems like that would deep down be a disappointment to some, because then their cynical views would be marginalized.

I for one choose to remain optimistic and hopeful in spite of the past. I'm not unaware of the past (and current) miss-steps, but no organization gets all of their personnel decisions right. I believe Flores is the best coach we've had since Shula (there, I said it!) and I believe that Tua has the talent to be the best QB we've had since #13.

You can mock me all you want for choosing to have that view, but the facts are:

The Dolphins blew up their whole roster and started from scratch 2 years ago, went 10-6 last year and objectively appear improved this year. Yet, for some, the takeaway from all of that is that our entire organization is incompetent. I respectfully disagree, and maintain that the preponderance of evidence is on my side. That doesn't mean they don't screw up. It means the arrow is (finally) pointing in a good direction and I am excited by that. Some of you just want to piss all over anyone's enthusiasm.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am
Posts: 1011
k-dash wrote:
In the eyes of many fans (and some posters here and on all other fan sites I suspect), anything that can be used against the current regime and/or QB can and will be, regardless of circumstances. The ONLY thing that will change that is winning. Strangely, it really seems like that would deep down be a disappointment to some, because then their cynical views would be marginalized.

I for one choose to remain optimistic and hopeful in spite of the past. I'm not unaware of the past (and current) miss-steps, but no organization gets all of their personnel decisions right. I believe Flores is the best coach we've had since Shula (there, I said it!) and I believe that Tua has the talent to be the best QB we've had since #13.

You can mock me all you want for choosing to have that view, but the facts are:

The Dolphins blew up their whole roster and started from scratch 2 years ago, went 10-6 last year and objectively appear improved this year. Yet, for some, the takeaway from all of that is that our entire organization is incompetent. I respectfully disagree, and maintain that the preponderance of evidence is on my side. That doesn't mean they don't screw up. It means the arrow is (finally) pointing in a good direction and I am excited by that. Some of you just want to piss all over anyone's enthusiasm.


Yep. I agree on all counts. I could keep harping on the picks of Igby and Jackson -- disliked them then and dislike them even more right now -- but what is the point? There are many other positive stories on the Dolphins to focus on now.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:39 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
prof123 wrote:
k-dash wrote:
In the eyes of many fans (and some posters here and on all other fan sites I suspect), anything that can be used against the current regime and/or QB can and will be, regardless of circumstances. The ONLY thing that will change that is winning. Strangely, it really seems like that would deep down be a disappointment to some, because then their cynical views would be marginalized.

I for one choose to remain optimistic and hopeful in spite of the past. I'm not unaware of the past (and current) miss-steps, but no organization gets all of their personnel decisions right. I believe Flores is the best coach we've had since Shula (there, I said it!) and I believe that Tua has the talent to be the best QB we've had since #13.

You can mock me all you want for choosing to have that view, but the facts are:

The Dolphins blew up their whole roster and started from scratch 2 years ago, went 10-6 last year and objectively appear improved this year. Yet, for some, the takeaway from all of that is that our entire organization is incompetent. I respectfully disagree, and maintain that the preponderance of evidence is on my side. That doesn't mean they don't screw up. It means the arrow is (finally) pointing in a good direction and I am excited by that. Some of you just want to piss all over anyone's enthusiasm.


Yep. I agree on all counts. I could keep harping on the picks of Igby and Jackson -- disliked them then and dislike them even more right now -- but what is the point? There are many other positive stories on the Dolphins to focus on now.


I have given Flores and the the staff plenty of praise for the defense. I think they really have done a good job … somehow generating a turnover machine that keeps opponent’s scoring down. I believe much of that success is coaching, because honestly the defense is not stacked with talent at each level. At the same time though, I believe the offensive side of the ball and personnel moves there especially, have been bad. We need a new OC who truly has control of that part of the team.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7477
Phinished wrote:
Gesicki will be a shadow of himself this year, because Tua is a game manager and will not throw up jump balls. At least the team figured out how to run a slant this year and that is some easy yardage with a target with size, like Parker. .
What are you calling a jump ball? Is it one where either defender or receiver can catch it? Would that Int be considered a jump ball at least before Gesicki tipped it up twice?

Phinished wrote:
The offense still can’t execute screen passes either. On a key 3rd and long in the shadow of their goal post, an excellent call was made to throw a screen pass. The execution was comically bad and the Pats blew that play up. Does anyone have access to the video for that one? It was so, so badly executed.
It was.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 8187
Phinished wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
I don't feel your pain.


Well…if we had managed to keep Minkah, we would not have had to then draft Holland, I suspect. Then the team could have pissed away another pick on a reach like Austin Jackson….who, by the way, we acquired with that trade of Minkah Fitzpatrick. So….you traded away a pro bowler who is kicking a s s for the Steelers and reached for a tackle who grades out around a 39 per PFF. Then, you have to use more high picks on a secondary that should have been fine. The coaching staff and owner need to figure out how to select, groom and keep talent. https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/ ... n-jackson/


Nope, still don't feel it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
k-dash wrote:
You can mock me all you want for choosing to have that view, but the facts are:

The Dolphins blew up their whole roster and started from scratch 2 years ago, went 10-6 last year and objectively appear improved this year. Yet, for some, the takeaway from all of that is that our entire organization is incompetent. I respectfully disagree, and maintain that the preponderance of evidence is on my side. That doesn't mean they don't screw up. It means the arrow is (finally) pointing in a good direction and I am excited by that. Some of you just want to piss all over anyone's enthusiasm.


That’s all fair, I don’t see Tua working out long haul but I haven’t let that kill board morale after a win…or even a loss. I want to see more of him & Waddle this weekend.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
PFF's official rookie grades.

Image

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
Phinished wrote:
The throw to Parker on the sideline was not a 50/50 ball. Parker had position and yes, that throw was pretty sweet. Never saw any jump balls to Gesicki.


The throw to Parker was a 50/50 ball. The DB was in his hip and Parker actually pushed off slightly to make the catch. The ball to Waddle was a 50/50 ball and the deflected pass in the endzone was a 50/50 pass.

Also, Gesicki was on the sideline for more than half the offensive plays because the Dolphins opted to go with blocking tight ends. Maybe Gesicki should work on his blocking a bit.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:16 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
The throw to Parker on the sideline was not a 50/50 ball. Parker had position and yes, that throw was pretty sweet. Never saw any jump balls to Gesicki.


The throw to Parker was a 50/50 ball. The DB was in his hip and Parker actually pushed off slightly to make the catch. The ball to Waddle was a 50/50 ball and the deflected pass in the endzone was a 50/50 pass.

Also, Gesicki was on the sideline for more than half the offensive plays because the Dolphins opted to go with blocking tight ends. Maybe Gesicki should work on his blocking a bit.


Gesicki will likely never be a blocker and we knew that when the team drafted him. Maybe the team could finally put together an offensive line that does not require the coach to keep tight ends and running backs in for pass protection so much? Even better, maybe we could have an offensive line capable of supporting a real NFL rushing game and then opposing defenses would not be comfortable drooping so many guys into coverage as the Pats did last weekend?


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7477
Rich wrote:
The throw to Parker was a 50/50 ball. The DB was in his hip and Parker actually pushed off slightly to make the catch. The ball to Waddle was a 50/50 ball and the deflected pass in the endzone was a 50/50 pass.

Also, Gesicki was on the sideline for more than half the offensive plays because the Dolphins opted to go with blocking tight ends. Maybe Gesicki should work on his blocking a bit.

Wow. Facts.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
Thoughts?


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r