All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
I'm seeing this talk on a few threads, so, I thought I'd start one here for those who want to debate it. In my opinion, Mac Jones has the benefit of running an offense that has taken 'Cheat several years to put together (offensive line and RBs). I thought Mac Jones looked very good running it. Miami's offense is much younger and needs time to develop. We aren't going to wait too long on that, though. I think everyone is on notice this year on offense.

Daniel Oyefusi wrote:
Q: A lot of talk of Jones outplaying Tua; how much of that was the coaches for NE simply out coached Miami’s new coaches? Mac Jones tore up Miami’s blitz...almost like he was ready for it to come. We need to start holding coaches accountable too.

DO: I have seen this take a lot in the last 24 hours, and it really depends on how you look at it. New England had a clear plan for Jones early; they wanted to run the ball early and not put too much on his plate. On the other hand, Miami didn’t have the luxury of a good running game but ran a heavy dose of RPOs, which gives Tagovailoa full control to either hand the ball to a running back or throw to a receiver, depending on how the defense is set up. Improve or get replaced.

Both coaching staffs had good game plans, and sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition for making a better play. Miami’s offense is in its infancy stages and it will continue to learn more about itself as the season progresses.

As for the Tua-Mac comparisons, get ready for this to be the norm for the next 10-15 years.


Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy





And, a little perspective.




.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
What don't you get? He passed the "eye" test, a 100% subjectivity-based approach to using absolutely no data or facts to determine who the better player is.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Rich wrote:
What don't you get? He passed the "eye" test, a 100% subjectivity-based approach to using absolutely no data or facts to determine who the better player is.


you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
What don't you get? He passed the "eye" test, a 100% subjectivity-based approach to using absolutely no data or facts to determine who the better player is.


you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:05 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
What don't you get? He passed the "eye" test, a 100% subjectivity-based approach to using absolutely no data or facts to determine who the better player is.


you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.


Well…there are some stats available….and they indicate the rookie Jones clearly outplayed our franchise QB Tua. Tua only threw 3 pass completions over 10 yards….iirc, Jones hit on 7 pass completions of over 10 yards. Tua threw an INT that likely would have cost the game if it were not for X man’s heroics.

Tua Tagovailoa
C/ATT. 16/27
YDS 202
AVG 7.5
TD 1
INT. 1
SACKS. 2-17 yds
QBR 39.8
RTG. 79.6

Mac Jones

C/ATT. 29/39
YDS 281
AVG 7.2
TD 1
INT. 0
SACKS. 1-13 yds
QBR 75.1
RTG. 102.6

Jones’ stats look more like a 2nd year pro than Tua’s.

Here is another good analysis of the QB play last week:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tua- ... -in-week-1


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
What don't you get? He passed the "eye" test, a 100% subjectivity-based approach to using absolutely no data or facts to determine who the better player is.


you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.

It wasn’t a compliment


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:55 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 3809
Coots wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:

you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.

It wasn’t a compliment


You're a real piece of work.
I don't even care anymore, Dave can ban me. I wish I'd have banned you before I took my Admin rights away myself, and just lived with those consequences. Just banned your name, your IP range, your entire everything. And just lived with it. But out of respect for Dave. I didn't.

As much as the boards have suffered over the years in membership decline and Dave needs people around to keep it alive and going, still wish I'd have done it.


:dropthemic


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
Coots wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:

you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.

It wasn’t a compliment


You're a real piece of work.
I don't even care anymore, Dave can ban me. I wish I'd have banned you before I took my Admin rights away myself, and just lived with those consequences. Just banned your name, your IP range, your entire everything. And just lived with it. But out of respect for Dave. I didn't.

As much as the boards have suffered over the years in membership decline and Dave needs people around to keep it alive and going, still wish I'd have done it.


Calm down, Roll Tide. Membership has declined due to social media, but I don't need to keep everyone here on the site if I don't like them. What I do like is having opposing views, and Carramia ... carreramia ... something like that .... and Phinished definitely are on the glass is mostly empty argument around here. While I try to stay positive, I've always found value in having both sides of the argument.

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
Phinished wrote:
Tua only threw 3 pass completions over 10 yards….iirc, Jones hit on 7 pass completions of over 10 yards.


How is this possible when Parker had 81 yards on 4 catches with a long of 30 and Waddle had a long of 36, Gaskin had a long of 12 and Ahmed had a long of 18.

FOUR PLAYERS had receiving plays longer than 10 yards but Tua only threw 3 completions of over 10 yards? I really expect a little more fact checking before you hit submit.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
What don't you get? He passed the "eye" test, a 100% subjectivity-based approach to using absolutely no data or facts to determine who the better player is.


you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.

It wasn’t a compliment


It seemed like a compliment to the "eye test", therefore I will take it as a compliment. Because nothing else matters but that eye test.

Thank you sir!

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Coots wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:

you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.

It wasn’t a compliment


You're a real piece of work.
I don't even care anymore, Dave can ban me. I wish I'd have banned you before I took my Admin rights away myself, and just lived with those consequences. Just banned your name, your IP range, your entire everything. And just lived with it. But out of respect for Dave. I didn't.

As much as the boards have suffered over the years in membership decline and Dave needs people around to keep it alive and going, still wish I'd have done it.


Ignorance is bliss.....you have no idea what I meant, Rich does. Nice rant ‘though.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
The eye test tells me this escalated quickly.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:33 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:17 pm
Posts: 137
I would caution everyone that this is only 1 game, so we do not have a trend yet. I would not be surprised to see Mac have his good games and bad games, same as Tua. Without a doubt, Mac looked good and I suspect that Tua will draw comparison between the other QBs in this division as I think they will all be very good.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Big Dave wrote:
Coots wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:

I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.

It wasn’t a compliment


You're a real piece of work.
I don't even care anymore, Dave can ban me. I wish I'd have banned you before I took my Admin rights away myself, and just lived with those consequences. Just banned your name, your IP range, your entire everything. And just lived with it. But out of respect for Dave. I didn't.

As much as the boards have suffered over the years in membership decline and Dave needs people around to keep it alive and going, still wish I'd have done it.


Calm down, Roll Tide. Membership has declined due to social media, but I don't need to keep everyone here on the site if I don't like them. What I do like is having opposing views, and Carramia ... carreramia ... something like that .... and Phinished definitely are on the glass is mostly empty argument around here. While I try to stay positive, I've always found value in having both sides of the argument.


Dave, you are a classy guy and deserve an explanation....Rich and I go back to the Sun board days and we engaged then and now in sarcasm and good natured put downs, all in fun, never nasty and always with respect....some others here obviously have no basis to understand that, but the fellow there is just an angry person, and I can’t figure out why....


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:44 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12868
Location: MA
carreramia wrote:
but the fellow there is just an angry person, and I can’t figure out why....


Coots is a good dude just looking to keep this site fun for everyone. Not taking sides, just pointing out he is a good dude. We're all on the same team here.

We all hit our breaking points when it comes to negativity and he's had to policy so many jack wagons over the years.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:31 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 10629
Location: Fargo, ND
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:

you must work in the Fins personnel dept....


I wish! Instead, I am just a lowly fan on a message board who references ridiculous platitudes such as eye tests to communicate my analysis.

It wasn’t a compliment


It seemed like a compliment to the "eye test", therefore I will take it as a compliment. Because nothing else matters but that eye test.

Thank you sir!


That’s pure gold!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Tua only threw 3 pass completions over 10 yards….iirc, Jones hit on 7 pass completions of over 10 yards.


How is this possible when Parker had 81 yards on 4 catches with a long of 30 and Waddle had a long of 36, Gaskin had a long of 12 and Ahmed had a long of 18.

FOUR PLAYERS had receiving plays longer than 10 yards but Tua only threw 3 completions of over 10 yards? I really expect a little more fact checking before you hit submit.


Sorry Thrawn, or Thrich or whatever name you dig mister pedant. Yes…better to say that banjo arm only had 3 passes that sailed through the air for more than 10 yards. RAC is great and we will need it with Tua.

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth
Target Depth
9 yards or less 13
10-19 downfield 1
20+ downfield 2

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-gam ... atriots-16


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 3809
Rich: You remain the Master, sir. I admire so your ability to control a dialogue. I've been on the wrong end of that once or twice, and have learned from the experience.

Jammer: You are one of the (main) reasons I still enjoy this site. Thank you for your objectivity and candor.

Coots: Keep posting, buddy. You are a part of the DNA of this site, and I for one appreciate all you've done for it for many a long year now.

Phin: Thanks for being one of those glass half full (or more) fans like me that try to push back against the negativity.

Dave: You're da bomb. The bee's knees. The cow's tail. The Dolphin's dorsal fin. I don't even know what I'm saying any more, but thanks for keeping this site alive for all these years. It's been a family for me (often dysfunctional, sometimes annoying as he11, but a place you can come home to nonetheless.)

There, that's my input for tonight. Good evening to you all.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
Phinished wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Tua only threw 3 pass completions over 10 yards….iirc, Jones hit on 7 pass completions of over 10 yards.


How is this possible when Parker had 81 yards on 4 catches with a long of 30 and Waddle had a long of 36, Gaskin had a long of 12 and Ahmed had a long of 18.

FOUR PLAYERS had receiving plays longer than 10 yards but Tua only threw 3 completions of over 10 yards? I really expect a little more fact checking before you hit submit.


Sorry Thrawn, or Thrich or whatever name you dig mister pedant. Yes…better to say that banjo arm only had 3 passes that sailed through the air for more than 10 yards. RAC is great and we will need it with Tua.

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth
Target Depth
9 yards or less 13
10-19 downfield 1
20+ downfield 2

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-gam ... atriots-16

That might be because the Patriots play a style of defense where they try to keep everything in front of them.

When you actually make a good argument, I may need to call upon my 34,783 accounts to help me debate you.

In other words, it will never happen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:51 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 2488
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Tua only threw 3 pass completions over 10 yards….iirc, Jones hit on 7 pass completions of over 10 yards.


How is this possible when Parker had 81 yards on 4 catches with a long of 30 and Waddle had a long of 36, Gaskin had a long of 12 and Ahmed had a long of 18.

FOUR PLAYERS had receiving plays longer than 10 yards but Tua only threw 3 completions of over 10 yards? I really expect a little more fact checking before you hit submit.


Sorry Thrawn, or Thrich or whatever name you dig mister pedant. Yes…better to say that banjo arm only had 3 passes that sailed through the air for more than 10 yards. RAC is great and we will need it with Tua.

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth
Target Depth
9 yards or less 13
10-19 downfield 1
20+ downfield 2

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-gam ... atriots-16

That might be because the Patriots play a style of defense where they try to keep everything in front of them.

When you actually make a good argument, I may need to call upon my 34,783 accounts to help me debate you.

In other words, it will never happen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Insults are not arguments. First you make a pedantic poke, then when the comparison of the two QB’s depth of throw gets posted you give an excuse for Tua’s numbers. Jones is the rookie, but he outperformed Tua. The difference in the game was turnovers and Jones did not turn the ball over. Tua did though…and without a great play by X man, that bonehead INT would likely have cost Miami the game.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Phinished wrote:
Rich wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Rich wrote:

How is this possible when Parker had 81 yards on 4 catches with a long of 30 and Waddle had a long of 36, Gaskin had a long of 12 and Ahmed had a long of 18.

FOUR PLAYERS had receiving plays longer than 10 yards but Tua only threw 3 completions of over 10 yards? I really expect a little more fact checking before you hit submit.


Sorry Thrawn, or Thrich or whatever name you dig mister pedant. Yes…better to say that banjo arm only had 3 passes that sailed through the air for more than 10 yards. RAC is great and we will need it with Tua.

Tua Tagovailoa passing by depth
Target Depth
9 yards or less 13
10-19 downfield 1
20+ downfield 2

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-gam ... atriots-16

That might be because the Patriots play a style of defense where they try to keep everything in front of them.

When you actually make a good argument, I may need to call upon my 34,783 accounts to help me debate you.

In other words, it will never happen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Insults are not arguments. First you make a pedantic poke, then when the comparison of the two QB’s depth of throw gets posted you give an excuse for Tua’s numbers. Jones is the rookie, but he outperformed Tua. The difference in the game was turnovers and Jones did not turn the ball over. Tua did though…and without a great play by X man, that bonehead INT would likely have cost Miami the game.


You sir are right on track...don’t let the self proclaimed spin master attempts twisting all facts beyond recognition sway you from what is becoming fake news in support of a QB that needs momma and all her friends to try and help him pass (pun intended) for the franchise QB the pom-pom wavers throw sissy fits over.

You are a welcome breath of fresh air here, I look fwd to your posts sir!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
Mac Jones had a fumble and Tua had 2 TDs. So even though Jones did not have a turnover, he didn't take care of the ball early in the game and would have had one with an unlucky bounce.

The way I see it 2 TDs are more productive than 1.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
carreramia wrote:
You sir are right on track...don’t let the self proclaimed spin master attempts twisting all facts beyond recognition sway you from what is becoming fake news in support of a QB that needs momma and all her friends to try and help him pass (pun intended) for the franchise QB the pom-pom wavers throw sissy fits over.

You are a welcome breath of fresh air here, I look fwd to your posts sir!


Your post did not pass the eye test, mostly because I had my glasses off, but also because you equate the smell of rotten gaseous emanations to a breath of fresh air.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
You sir are right on track...don’t let the self proclaimed spin master attempts twisting all facts beyond recognition sway you from what is becoming fake news in support of a QB that needs momma and all her friends to try and help him pass (pun intended) for the franchise QB the pom-pom wavers throw sissy fits over.

You are a welcome breath of fresh air here, I look fwd to your posts sir!


Your post did not pass the eye test, mostly because I had my glasses off, but also because you equate the smell of rotten gaseous emanations to a breath of fresh air.


Your distorted opinion, as usual....and since you are so keen on analytics and numbers and really, BS, how do you score the “smell of rotten gaseous emanations” in the facts based category?? Or do you call it, wait for it...... the “nose test”?

And Phinished is right on with the mickey mouse QB’s analysis...as he is with his observations on the historic front office’s handicaps on player personnel evaluation and selection (which is why I attributed your “expertise” would fit right in). He’s batting a thousand, that is 1.000!

You should learn from all this. No charge.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
carreramia wrote:
and since you are so keen on analytics and numbers and really, BS, how do you score the “smell of rotten gaseous emanations” in the facts based category?? Or do you call it, wait for it...... the “nose test”?


Tell ya what, I call your responses to Finished the "nose up his arse" test.

Finished finally has a not so secret admirer on the boards. Hopefully it's not a fatal attraction as we need Finished around for the comedic relief he offers on the boards.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 12868
Location: MA
As far as yards traveled through the air, it wasn't like Tua was throwing behind the line of scrimmage. He made quick, accurate throws that set the receivers up for very big gains.

If you watch the Justin Herbert highlights it was like watching a college QB. The guy had all day to throw (I still really like him as a QB too so I'm not knocking him). Its a different situation for Miami right now.

Tua could have flipped the ball to Smythe instead of running it in for a TD. That certainly would have altered his QB rating.

After time to reflect I am happy with what I saw. NE dropped a lot of guys into coverage to bait bad throws and Tua took what they gave him. He changed the play on that final drive (was supposed to be a run and he called it off) which put Miami in position to run out the clock. That made up for the stupid interception. I'm even confident he could have engineered a scoring drive if NE didn't fumble.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
and since you are so keen on analytics and numbers and really, BS, how do you score the “smell of rotten gaseous emanations” in the facts based category?? Or do you call it, wait for it...... the “nose test”?


Tell ya what, I call your responses to Finished the "nose up his arse" test.

Finished finally has a not so secret admirer on the boards. Hopefully it's not a fatal attraction as we need Finished around for the comedic relief he offers on the boards.


You needed straightening out, that’s all, don’t be so sensitive. And one “nose” can’t compete with the many I see shoved up generously elsewhere here. Ya get my drift..?!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:28 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 9815
After time to reflect I am happy with what I saw.

True statement. I'm ready for the Bills!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 27200
Location: Miami, FL
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
and since you are so keen on analytics and numbers and really, BS, how do you score the “smell of rotten gaseous emanations” in the facts based category?? Or do you call it, wait for it...... the “nose test”?


Tell ya what, I call your responses to Finished the "nose up his arse" test.

Finished finally has a not so secret admirer on the boards. Hopefully it's not a fatal attraction as we need Finished around for the comedic relief he offers on the boards.


You needed straightening out, that’s all, don’t be so sensitive. And one “nose” can’t compete with the many I see shoved up generously elsewhere here. Ya get my drift..?!


Leave those other noses out of it.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
I’m not going to macro analyze the debut game of a rookie. Some people need to step away from the microscope and get outside and enjoy the ride. Most if not MANYYY HoF QBs had disastrous debut games and some looked like crap the entire season.

One game.

Big Dave wrote:
Calm down, Roll Tide. Membership has declined due to social media, but I don't need to keep everyone here on the site if I don't like them. What I do like is having opposing views, and Carramia ... carreramia ... something like that .... and Phinished definitely are on the glass is mostly empty argument around here. While I try to stay positive, I've always found value in having both sides of the argument.


Agreed.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7477
Phinished wrote:
Well…there are some stats available….and they indicate the rookie Jones clearly outplayed our franchise QB Tua. Tua only threw 3 pass completions over 10 yards….iirc, Jones hit on 7 pass completions of over 10 yards. Tua threw an INT that likely would have cost the game if it were not for X man’s heroics.


This tells me everything I need to know.

Quote:
First of all, anyone who watched the game could tell you that Tua attempted passes that were more difficult than Jones did, and the advanced metrics confirm this.

Tua threw into contested windows on 25.9% of his targets, far higher than Jones’ mark of 10.3%. Tua’s passes also traveled 9.4 yards downfield on average compared to an average of 6.3 yards for Jones.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 7477
Rich wrote:
Mac Jones had a fumble and Tua had 2 TDs. So even though Jones did not have a turnover, he didn't take care of the ball early in the game and would have had one with an unlucky bounce.

The way I see it 2 TDs are more productive than 1.

Lets remember that fumble was factually a backwards pass where he was avoiding being sacks. AKA he panicked.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
carreramia wrote:
and since you are so keen on analytics and numbers and really, BS, how do you score the “smell of rotten gaseous emanations” in the facts based category?? Or do you call it, wait for it...... the “nose test”?


Tell ya what, I call your responses to Finished the "nose up his arse" test.

Finished finally has a not so secret admirer on the boards. Hopefully it's not a fatal attraction as we need Finished around for the comedic relief he offers on the boards.


You needed straightening out, that’s all, don’t be so sensitive. And one “nose” can’t compete with the many I see shoved up generously elsewhere here. Ya get my drift..?!


Leave those other noses out of it.



nahh, i don’t think so, you brought it up, I’m giving you more choices...


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
T Hill instrumentally turned JJ Watt into a household name during his debut I remember that game like PTSD. He should honestly feel honored

:)

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
jammer wrote:
After time to reflect I am happy with what I saw. NE dropped a lot of guys into coverage to bait bad throws and Tua took what they gave him. He changed the play on that final drive (was supposed to be a run and he called it off) which put Miami in position to run out the clock. That made up for the stupid interception. I'm even confident he could have engineered a scoring drive if NE didn't fumble.



Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
I was only able to catch glimpses of the game including that beautifully balanced opening scoring drive. How did Eichenberg do?

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 22339
Location: Raleigh, NC
No bias among the media or Dolphins fans.


_________________
* Follow Phinfever on FACEBOOK
* Follow Phinfever on TWITTER
* Follow Phinfever on MeWee


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
I’d love nothing more than for Tua to return Man on Mission with an extra chip…

However, Miami also needs to watch him with more careful eyes & prepare a backup plan if he doesn’t show back up to the task. The OL has been a bigger disappointment than him. He’s the last kinda QB you want behind a Titanic OL though. He’s is in the perfect storm, recipe for disaster in Miami.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 6898
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Well at least we have moved on from Tua vs. Herbert.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Tua vs Mac
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 7179
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
FINesse wrote:
Well at least we have moved on from Tua vs. Herbert.


Nope Herbert better bruhh

_________________
Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC-04:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r