Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gesicki
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:28 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Wonder if there will be a story this year on Gesicki and where his future stands with the Fins. A lot of us, me included, incorrectly assumed Gesicki’s “absence” in the NE game was due to Tua not being able to connect with him. It turns out he was in on only 21 snaps and was targeted just 3 times. The Fins apparently preferring TE’s that would help in the blocking dept. The Fins o-line has definitely not improved much in just one week (they signed yet another trash pile FA o-lineman recently), so perhaps the Buffalo front will once again require Gesicki to sit. That would be one weapon less that Tua would have. No one has explained this but Gesicki being a good trooper dismissed it and he’s looking fwd to the Bills game.

Gesicki as we know is in his contract year. Mark Andrews another TE drafted (by the Ravens) the same year as Gesicki recently signed a new four-year deal worth 56 million dollars, making him one of the best paid players in his position, and Gesicki is obviously looking at that. Gesicki is definitely in the Andrews category, although the blocking thing does separate them. But the Fins in their infinite personnel wisdom knew that back when Gesicki was drafted.

Fins came into the season with the intent of giving Tua weapons, I don’t think there’s a better one than Gesicki to help in that dept, so here’s hoping Gesicki returns to the starting lineup and and that he gets his well justified new contract. Maybe he doesn’t deserve the same 4/$56m as Andrews, but something close would be fair value and keep what has become a downfield receiving threat. Could the Fins be banking on the speed outside to provide the targets Tua needs and focus the TE position instead to help the problems in the o-line? That’s certainly possible but for how long will that thinking last? The WR’s injury history and lack of availability may wind up costing the Fins if they can’t find a role for Gesicki.

It would be so much like the Fins to jerk a good player around when his value has already been established. The hope he’s signed and rewarded, I believe he’s earned it, and that this does not drag into the off-season. The Fins drafting of Hunter Long had to send signals but the rookie has not shown much to-date (he was injured late in camp).

Post subject: Re: Gesicki
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:40 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I don't think Gesicki would struggle to make that money on the open market next year.

Other factors come into play. What does Miami think of Adam Shaheen? Can Mack Hollins run similar routes to Gesicki? How healthy are Parker and Williams? Is Tua more inclined to target those guys and Waddle than his TEs?

I said this in another thread, but I think if you make Eichenberg the LT and move Jackson inside it will help the run game. That may help in getting Gesicki more snaps in the RPO (not needing Smythe or Long to block).

I want Miami to keep Gesicki as I think his best days are ahead of him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Oh, I agree that Gesicki would get good money in the open market, even with his apparent one-sided strength, but on a team where a tall, long arms, rangy TE is needed, one where the o-line isn’t under construction like this one Gesicki would definitely be of value.

I just don’t trust the front office, they now realize perhaps that they made a mistake drafting a one dimensional player and are planning to move on. Then again, given the topsy turvy mode of personnel development the Fins have mastered, maybe the NE was a one and done experiment to help the o-line. Anyhow, for Gesicki’s sake, although I would love to have him long term and allow him and Tua to develop the chemistry needed, it may be in his best interest to move on to a franchise that appreciates his value and will know how to exploit it.

Regarding the o-line. It’s unlikely to happen but I wish they would return to Hunt at RT, Kindley at RG, that worked rather well last year, not bad given that both were rookies, and maybe Kindleys’ struggles this year are due to the changes. Then insert Eichenberg at LG and let him grow into the NFL and if Jackson can’t cut it at LT down the road, move Eichenberg over to LT as they did with Tunsil years ago and then find a guard. If it’s jackson all the better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Maybe we should line Gesicki up out wide in some sets as a WR.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:

Yup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:00 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
Regarding the o-line. It’s unlikely to happen but I wish they would return to Hunt at RT, Kindley at RG, that worked rather well last year, not bad given that both were rookies, and maybe Kindleys’ struggles this year are due to the changes. Then insert Eichenberg at LG and let him grow into the NFL and if Jackson can’t cut it at LT down the road, move Eichenberg over to LT as they did with Tunsil years ago and then find a guard. If it’s jackson all the better.

I think Hunt makes a better tackle than guard. The coaches aren't moving Davis because he is apparently the leader of the OL. He's solid enough but Hunt could blossom into something really good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yup

Especially if he can use his skills and height to beat smaller CB.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:56 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

definitely put him in the slot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I don't think Gesicki would struggle to make that money on the open market next year.

I will be shocked if Miami tries to resign Gesicki. IMO they were looking into the future with the drafting of Long and have zero plans to resign Gesicki, because from what I have seen over the past 3 yrs. Great some games, disappears in others. Some of the reason might be Qb play, but I cannot speak to that.

I do believe there is a plan on where they want to spend their money and its not on the TE position.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:23 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I wouldn't read too much into last week's game. The OL was reshifted, Austin Jackson was out, and a rookie was starting at LT. The Dolphins knew that 'Cheat had a reworked and expensive FA defense and would come after Tua.

I read this summer from an NFL GM that the TE position is looked at differently in today's NFL, and that blocking isn't as important as being dangerous with the ball. If the Dolphins coaches cannot use Gesicki, something is wrong with our OCs. I'd like to see him extended, but right now it isn't a big deal, because they are waiting for the new 2022 cap and/or are going to franchise him. I'd hate to stick with him through the growing pains and then let him go. If the Dolphins want to go in a different direction, I can see them trading him before the trade deadline or again franchising him, but I hope not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:04 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
I'd hate to stick with him through the growing pains and then let him go. If the Dolphins want to go in a different direction, I can see them trading him before the trade deadline or again franchising him, but I hope not.

Franchising him would be expensive and far from solving the matter long term. Trading him would get us nothing close to his worth, and doing what a smart franchise like the Ravens, who re-upped their guy before it becomes expensive and controversial, is the model this front office can't seem to copy.

In the end, it would go against everything the front office is preaching and acting on, re: give Tua weapons. None of the other TEs are even close to Gesicki in the pass catching dept, and Gesicki proved last year, with a smart, ballsy and aggressive QB throwing to him what he's worth. The new kid Long is far from proving he can do what Gesicki can.

I hope that before it becomes another X soap opera the Fins take care of Gesicki, he has to be a part of this offense moving fwd.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:27 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
Franchising him would be expensive and far from solving the matter long term.

It's less than $10 million to franchise a TE. The Dolphins may be intrigued to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:04 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:

In the end, it would go against everything the front office is preaching and acting on, re: give Tua weapons. None of the other TEs are even close to Gesicki in the pass catching dept, and Gesicki proved last year, with a smart, ballsy and aggressive QB throwing to him what he's worth. The new kid Long is far from proving he can do what Gesicki can.

I hope that before it becomes another X soap opera the Fins take care of Gesicki, he has to be a part of this offense moving fwd.

I did not know that you had that opinion of Tua as a qb. Cool.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Funny….put in Brissett and Gesicki starts catching passes………hmmmmmm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
. Unless I’m missing something. Gesicki finished the game with 3 catches for 41 yrds. One catch came via Tua.

Does two catches over 3 plus Qtr pump you up that much?

Last edited by Dphins4me on Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:31 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Dphins4me wrote:
Phinished wrote:
. Unless I’m missing something. Gesicki finished the game with 3 catches for 41 yes. One catch came via Tua.

I think some myth making is going on. It seems to go something like, Tua can't or won't utilize Gesicki effectively but other qbs will. Like last year except when you look at last year Tua threw the ball to Gesicki too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:53 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AQNOR wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Phinished wrote:
. Unless I’m missing something. Gesicki finished the game with 3 catches for 41 yes. One catch came via Tua.

I think some myth making is going on. It seems to go something like, Tua can't or won't utilize Gesicki effectively but other qbs will. Like last year except when you look at last year Tua threw the ball to Gesicki too.

Yep. It's hard to have a debate with some of the anti-Tua folk because their minds are very made up about him. I want Tua to succeed, but I'm giving him a lot of rope right now as I've done with other quarterbacks. He has room to grow at the QB position.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:

Yep. It's hard to have a debate with some of the anti-Tua folk because their minds are very made up about him. I want Tua to succeed, but I'm giving him a lot of rope right now as I've done with other quarterbacks. He has room to grow at the QB position.

Very few people are objective. Its black or white. I hate the pick, so I will bash the player no matter what.

Many believe its a plug and play league now and if you do not succeed game 1 or 2 then you are a bust. Too many people sit around on draft night listening to the talking heads telling everyone how great this guy is and how much he is going to improve this part of the team. Then when he doesn't, they start whining. Yes whining.

Tua has talent, and pin point accuracy, but he is not a scrambler and play creator like some. I know people will say. That is what the NFL is today. My counter. 44 yr of Tom Brady has never been nor will ever be a play extender. Yet, he succeeds.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]